5 ton Northern electric splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Ray

Nov 20, 2005
TX
I have been reading the thread on electric splitters and was thinking of buying the 5ton electric splitter from Nothern tool. They have it on sale for $279, just wanted to see if anyone had any reviews on this splitter. Can pick it up local, so I do not have to worry about the shipping. Thanks!!!!!!

reg,

I picked one up about a month back & have only split about a cord, but so far it seems to work very well. I've split fresh red oak up to a good 16-18 inch diameter & same size popular without straining. I have some 10-12 inch elm...wouldn't split that, but I have a friend with a larger splitter for my "non-splits". If you open a charge account at the same time you should get another break on the price. I think I ended up paying around $230-$240 by the time I got done. Seems easy to use & is quiet enough.

fishboat said:
reg,

I picked one up about a month back & have only split about a cord, but so far it seems to work very well. I've split fresh red oak up to a good 16-18 inch diameter & same size popular without straining. I have some 10-12 inch elm...wouldn't split that, but I have a friend with a larger splitter for my "non-splits". If you open a charge account at the same time you should get another break on the price. I think I ended up paying around $230-$240 by the time I got done. Seems easy to use & is quiet enough.
Fishboat, Thanks for the heads up on opening an acct with Northern, I will get my splitter after X-mas. Thanks for the help! Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.