50 mile bike ride...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mhambi

Burning Hunk
Sep 10, 2010
UT
And all I could think about was all that firewood I was passing... :lol:

A buddy talked me into going riding with him. The first 10 miles go from 6000' to 10000' The middle 30 miles are up and down, but never below 9500'. The last 10 miles were the 'funnest' being all downhill from 11500' to 5500'. Trip about killed me, but I survived!

Lots of snow up top still. Crazy for mid August

20at0du.jpg

Views and more climbing. As tough as it was... Pretty country to be riding in.

szfwuo.jpg

On top the road becomes 'less developed' and is more like a jeep trail. This section had several landslides that had closed the road, but we were able to walk through them.

vhgj1g.jpg

The worst climb in the middle section. It seemed like it went on FOREVER. Starting at 9500' and you end up at 11000'.

zksh9j.jpg

A couple more... another portion of the road was still closed by this snow bank. Walking across it with a bike was a little sketchy.

e621zo.jpg

Wide open spaces... way up high.

scubmo.jpg

Finally on the way back down...

35arinr.jpg

Wow-where is this exactly?

Badfish740 said:

Started just outside of Fairview, UT - It's a portion of a 120 mile trail known as the Skyline Drive.

midkqt.jpg

Well that's going on my list of places to visit. Is it open to vehicles for truck camping, etc...? Is it public land? I am only just beginning to learn more about the vast lands out West. Here in the East spaces that large are either privately held by timber interests (Great North Woods, etc...) or National Parks.

Badfish740 said:
Is it open to vehicles for truck camping, etc...? Is it public land?

Yes and yes. Here's some more info on the area.

http://www.expeditionutah.com/featured-trails/skyline-drive-utah/

I can vouch for the fishing on Fish Creek and Gooseberry Res from the 'Fishing Map' in the above link... :lol:

Here's a pic I took of Gooseberry last time I was there.

1535f2x.jpg

Fairview is about 10 miles from my house... If you make it out here, let me know... dinner's on me.

Wow! Fantastic pics . . . thanks for sharing . . . stunningly beautiful!

mhambi, thanks for posting those pictures. This is an area where we have not yet gone but hopefully some day will be able to. Looks like a dandy bike ride too. Good for you for taking that route.

My understanding is that Utah has the best trails and rules for atvs as any place in the States.

Professional photographer, or very experienced amature?

mhambi said:
Badfish740 said:

Started just outside of Fairview, UT - It's a portion of a 120 mile trail known as the Skyline Drive.

Very nice pictures.

zap

mhambi said:
Badfish740 said:
Is it open to vehicles for truck camping, etc...? Is it public land?

Yes and yes. Here's some more info on the area.

http://www.expeditionutah.com/featured-trails/skyline-drive-utah/

I can vouch for the fishing on Fish Creek and Gooseberry Res from the 'Fishing Map' in the above link... :lol:

Here's a pic I took of Gooseberry last time I was there.

1535f2x.jpg

Fairview is about 10 miles from my house... If you make it out here, let me know... dinner's on me.

Awesome shot. That is picture perfect.

Very beautiful country there! With an elevation that high was it difficult to breathe with the lower oxygen content ?

Ray

tfdchief said:
Beautiful country. Are ATV's allowed on the trail? It looks like a pair in the background of one picture.
Backwoods Savage said:
My understanding is that Utah has the best trails and rules for atvs as any place in the States.

Yes, ATVs are allowed! Skyline Drive is part of the 'Arapeen Trail', which has over 350 miles of roads/trails to ride. It also connects to the Great Western Trail system and the Piute ATV Trail System, for more dirt track than I think you'd ever care to ride... :)

gzecc said:
Professional photographer, or very experienced amature?

Lucky blind squirrel? Even they find an acorn once in a while. :lol: I love photography, and once in a while get it right. Not often enough though...

raybonz said:
Very beautiful country there! With an elevation that high was it difficult to breathe with the lower oxygen content ?

I could breath fine, and didn't notice getting 'winded' faster, but I really felt it in my muscles - they tired MUCH faster than normal. And here I was hoping it was going to be easier because there was less wind resistance!

Ncountry said:
Beautiful area. All I can picture is skiing down those ridges… Awesome!!!.

Come on out! Lots of good places for backcountry skiing. Skyline has also kind of become the 'Mecca' of winter kiteboarding... so bring your kite too! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ3QU5QLJ3A
Plus, all those ATV trails are snowmobile trails in the winter!

Ok... I'll end my chamber of commerce ad now. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.