50mph Gusts!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
Very windy tonight in WNY. Gusting over 50mph in some area's. Even with my damper almost all the way closed, at times the Jotul is more like a forge at one of the old steel mills. Wow!!!

Enjoy the show!

If the gusts are out there they must be heading my way........

Yeah it sure eats through the wood!

For whatever reason this year has been really mild here as far as wind. It's normal to get 60-70+mph gusts during the winter. It's real fun even walking from the front door to the car, never mind trying to work outside.

50mph is childsplay in alaska.

NordicSplitter said:
Very windy tonight in WNY. Gusting over 50mph in some area's. Even with my damper almost all the way closed, at times the Jotul is more like a forge at one of the old steel mills. Wow!!!

Getting them here to but not that high.

Edit, wind gust up to 46 mph. Some power outages in the surrounding area but the power is still on here.

zap

we are gettin that wind here in central PA too. We just got home from a daytrip to Pittsburgh and it was rough riding on the way home, the wind was whipping us all over the road!. But amazingly, we left at 7:30am and I put a big honey locust split, a big white oak round, and two small white oak splits in the Napoleon...we got back home at 7:00 this evening to a nice bed of coals and it was still in the low 70's in the house. My draft fix worked!

We don't get much wind here in the Interior, so when they hit, we enjoy the storms--something about them that makes us feel so alive. I remember seeing one on the coast that split a river and made it run backwards. Now that was a hoot! Hope you're enjoying nature's show.

I've GOT to get an anemometer one of these days. I swear I was dealing with gale or hurricane force gusts last night. Took my grill clear across the front deck and I could see my big front windows (like 6'x9' big) flexing ever so slightly.

Doing it again tonight. High winds usually mean a change in the weather for us. Either warm air displacing cold or vice-versa...maybe winter's gonna start soon.

Had those 50+ mph winds here Friday. Lots of dirt blowing. It was a very miserable day.

mayhem said:
I've GOT to get an anemometer one of these days. I swear I was dealing with gale or hurricane force gusts last night. Took my grill clear across the front deck and I could see my big front windows (like 6'x9' big) flexing ever so slightly.

Doing it again tonight. High winds usually mean a change in the weather for us. Either warm air displacing cold or vice-versa...maybe winter's gonna start soon.

your right..it had to be hurricane force or just under last night
and you maybe right, there talking of a possible big storm for the end of next week for us

Had 50mph gusts here as well, nothing fell back in the Backwoods as far as I can see. I haven't seen any changes in the stove with high winds yet, but we are pretty protected.

We had close to 50mph gusts last week. They followed the heavy snow, then ice storm which had just melted. The soggy ground and strong winds uprooted a few of our oldest and most treasured fruit trees. I spent yesterday cleaning up some of this damage. It was kind of sad having to take these old fellows down. We also lost a big chunk of a large and old hawthorn. There's a reason they have "thorn" in that tree's name. Those spikes are nasty!

fishingpol said:
When I think we have bad weather, I like to look on the Mount Washington Observatory website. Real weather junkies up on that rock.

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

And its crazy up there. Hiking up it, when you get close to the top (from about 1500') the signs to the hikers explain if you don't have the proper attire, you may die. At the bottom, short sleeves, wicking material, at the top, fleece layers, packable down jacket, at the ready in the pack. On the exposed face of washington, 80mph sustained winds make hiking difficult. At the top, if you get from the observatory to the rail & back in 100mph winds, you get to join the century club

hey if the stove gets to hot do what i do just take your pants and shirt off ,
better than opening the windows!!!

BeGreen said:
We had close to 50mph gusts last week. They followed the heavy snow, then ice storm which had just melted. The soggy ground and strong winds uprooted a few of our oldest and most treasured fruit trees. I spent yesterday cleaning up some of this damage. It was kind of sad having to take these old fellows down. We also lost a big chunk of a large and old hawthorn. There's a reason they have "thorn" in that tree's name. Those spikes are nasty!

That sucks. When we bought the Cottage, we took down an old apple tree that was in really bad shape. It really sucked, but we were afraid a good storm would cause big time damage with it.

AFTER they cancelled the wind advisory, it seemed exceptionally windy here. Got up on Sunday, looked out the side window...and DH asks "what's wrong, what are you looking at". I said...a shingle, in the side yard. It's upside down so I can't tell if it's ours or not...So, we go outside, flip it over and-yup, ours. The wind ripped a single tab off a three tab shingle, plus loosened another full three tab single. Had to go buy new ones and some roofing adhesive, and DH got the honors of getting up there and fixing it (I still can't get on a roof, drives me crazy but I jsut can't get myself up there, lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.