52i Etching of glass from flame

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NHcpa

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
Honyock NH
I am getting etched glass on the top center left of my glass from over flame. I also note that the top "metal bridge" separating the glass from the flame also has burned the paint off in a spot. I don't run my feed rate higher than 4. Should I lower the feed rate to not have these issues of over flame? To me it defeats the purpose of gaining more heat unless the etching is just part of the process as a result of the design.

It's mineral glass (pyrex). The flame don't etch the glass, the fly ash does and it's an accepted process in as much as the viewing glass is also considered a consumable item. Far as burning paint off, thats normal too. It's a stove, not a wallflower.

Status
Not open for further replies.