55 Rancher 20" bar w/sprocket. How to lubricate sprocket?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daviddep

Sep 17, 2009
Cicero, NY
I dont have a grease gun with a little tip (like I saw a guy on youtube). Is there another way to grease the sprocket at the tip end of bar?

Thanks!

They sell a little plastic grease gun at just about any saw shop or hardware store. A buddy game me one years ago and you just unscrew the top and put grease in it. A little hand pump puts the grease in the hole. One thing I found strange is that Stihl does not even use grease, they believe the oil for the chain is enough and that grease only attracts sawdust.

Attachments

• st705814[1].jpg
    st705814[1].jpg
    958 bytes · Views: 275
I would not think a husky rancher would be able to be grease. Most modern saw don't take grease in the bar tip.

Don't grease, it won't make any difference.

I just sorta smush the grease in the hole with my fingers, while turning the sprocket. I'll try to clean it first, with a couple of shot of brake cleaner, then after about 30 min. smush in the grease. It does make a difference on my saw. While I'm smushing, the RPM's really pick up! (JK) :coolcheese:

You can buy the needle tip and screw it on a regular grease gun.

daviddep said:
I dont have a grease gun with a little tip...
Break open the piggy bank or scrape $10 together and buy one.

Stay away from the chepo clear oregon units, they pop apart at the seam where the end is glued/formed on. Picked up a black one with a red dust cover for the tip, not sure who made this one. plastic is much more flexable, and gives without cracking. paid 14 dollars for it, after buying 2 oregon ones for 10 buck each that both broke. went to a local hardware store, and they had 5 oregon lubers that were broken in the package, unopened, hanging on the shelf!!

And not sure what type of grease they come with, but I reload mine with sta-lube hi temp marine disc wheel bearing grease.

It has to be greased some one did mention not to grease it.. So did my Husky dealer what a line of BS. And yes on the needle type tip on a grease gun that works the best. I have a small grease gun w the tip on it just for my Huskys.

Status
Not open for further replies.