-6 °F - Wood Shed, 3:30 PM sunset

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Someone ask for a pic of my woodshed with a sunset.
Had to wait for a Dec. sunset.
Has been -6 to 8 °F for a few weeks.
Wind blew the snow somewhere (& some of my shingles)
Only get 12 -14 hour burn times burning on 2.5 on the BK.

I sure notice a difference this year with the 1-1/2+ yr seasoned wood.
Burning great, gets hot quick.

Supposed to warm up to mid 20s by New Years. If this big cold air mass heads
south to the lower 48, it's gonna get cold for youns down there.
Was -45 with a 10 knot wind on the North slope & -26 in Fairbanks for a high today.

Wood drying even more with this cold dry air. Spit is froze before it hits the ground :).
Drive way is clear, sublimation (snow evaporates in these conditions)

Attachments

• 100_5590.jpg
    100_5590.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 811
I can't even fathom that cold. Or maybe I just don't want to. Coldest I have ever been was -15 and I commandeered an airplane heater.
Nice pic though.

bogydave said:

Was -45 with a 10 knot wind on the North slope & -26 in Fairbanks for a high today.

Wood drying even more with this cold dry air. Spit is froze before it hits the ground :).

Ohhhhhh. Am I so wrong to lust after your gorgeous wood stacks? (to heck with the sunset!)

Oh, and please keep your arctic air massses to yourself, if you don't mind!

Wow! Small slice of Heaven.

Looking good BogyDave - 12-14 h between reloads at those temps sounds pretty awesome! Cheers!

bogydave said:

Your wood shelter looks great Dave! I can't imagine it ever being that cold ! Anything below 20 feels cold especially if it's windy..

Ray

-45 and windy...that's nuts!! PLeeeez don't let it come south....
I guess that's the price you pay for living in such beautiful country! It's been unseasonably cold here thus far but I guess we will see mid 40's this weekend which will be a good time for me to finally get the snowplow on the truck!

Brrrr . . .

Received this e-mail from my sister in Portage yesterday. I'm trying to convince her that even with an older pre-EPA stove and beetle kill wood that it would be far easier and better to harvest their wood in the Summer vs. running out in the Winter.

--

Hi, got your message, we actually had a quiet Christmas we have been having temps in the -25 so we really just worked on staying warm which kind of meant that we ran out of firewood, so on Sunday it was a trip up to the pass with the snowmachine for a load of wood. Now here is where Jon and I differ I say this method is more work he thinks it's better to get wood in the winter, I think it must have to do with the fact that the winter involves a snow machine. But in the end we have wood and since that is out only heat source it is nice. Our house has been in the high 30s when we get home from work and since we comute together it's just cold, if we're lucky it's up to 60 when we go to bed. Good thing Zak is a Labrador. Jon says we arrive home each night to a frozen house and a frozen dog.

At those temps, you can take a cup of boiling water and toss it in the air, and not a single drop will hit the ground. Pretty cool to see.
(obviously do this outside, it won't have the same effect in your living room) ;-P

firefighterjake said:
Our house has been in the high 30s when we get home from work and since we comute together it's just cold, if we're lucky it's up to 60 when we go to bed.

Ummm...no way I would put up with that. Thats crazy stuff.

firefighterjake said:
Brrrr . . .

Received this e-mail from my sister in Portage yesterday. I'm trying to convince her that even with an older pre-EPA stove and beetle kill wood that it would be far easier and better to harvest their wood in the Summer vs. running out in the Winter.

--

Hi, got your message, we actually had a quiet Christmas we have been having temps in the -25 so we really just worked on staying warm which kind of meant that we ran out of firewood, so on Sunday it was a trip up to the pass with the snowmachine for a load of wood. Now here is where Jon and I differ I say this method is more work he thinks it's better to get wood in the winter, I think it must have to do with the fact that the winter involves a snow machine. But in the end we have wood and since that is out only heat source it is nice. Our house has been in the high 30s when we get home from work and since we comute together it's just cold, if we're lucky it's up to 60 when we go to bed. Good thing Zak is a Labrador. Jon says we arrive home each night to a frozen house and a frozen dog.

Holy Cow is this guy for real?? I don't see how it is easier to do what he does at all! Especially since that is their only heat source.. I'd have like 50 cords all around the house if that were me! I can't even imagine a house in the 30's inside!!! Your sister must be some sort of a saint LOL (or suffering from permanent brain freeze)..

Ray

Jags said:
At those temps, you can take a cup of boiling water and toss it in the air, and not a single drop will hit the ground. Pretty cool to see.
(obviously do this outside, it won't have the same effect in your living room) ;-P

Thinking it would work in Jake's sister's living room when they get home every day lol.. It's so cold in their house the dog cuddles up to a block of ice just to warm up! They keep food in the refrigerator to prevent it from freezing lol... Brrrrrrrrrrr is all I can say..

Ray

HaHaHa, Your "frozen air mass" just got here last night. I woke up to 1-1/2" of snow on the ground. The people in western Washington do not know how to deal with it. Most of these are transplants or just without smarts. The news makes a big deal of it so the people follow suit. WINTER STORM 2010

bogydave said:

Dave, perhaps you need to tell more of the difference you notice with the better seasoned wood. A lot of folks just do not know how much difference it makes. And just wait until you have even more time for it to season. It gets better.

No as for that spit freezing.....it ain't going to happen. However, I'd want to keep axes and mauls indoors in the super cold weather lest they shatter.

The wood I cut last Fall was most all standing live trees.
Mostly Birch.
It is now 1 yr old +, & the right 2/3 of the wood shed is this wood.
The left 1/3 is 2 + yr old, I'm burning it now

The good seasoned wood burns allot different:
...It lights quicker & get the stove up to temp 4 -5 times faster.
...It burns on all sides & ends with fierce flames, if I need it.
...I can turn the stove T-stat down (less inlet air) & get better/more house heat
...burn times are a little better,
...less creosote in the chimney, not much visible smoke or water vapor coming out the chimney.
...the pipe leaving the stove is almost cool enough to touch. (cat active)

...Just better heat output, cleaner burning, less problems, less cleaning & few/no other issues, that I had
with wood not seasoned well. (less than 1 yr old stuff I was burning)

After emptying the ashes,
I leave a few hot coals in the stove, throw in some birch & have a raging hot fire in a matter of minutes.
It just ignites quick, & gets hot fast.

Awesome Dave! Nice wood shed!

I'm definitely moving up there some day!
It get's cold like that here in E. Montana also.
Tomorrow's forecast -25F 25mph sustained wind gusting to 38. Wind chill factor -58 to -64.
Stay warm everyone!

i find it really wierd that theres no snow. i was expecting to see tons of snow. you said it evaporates in the extreme cold? or is it the wind blowing it all over the place. very interesting.

Perfect romantic sunset........

Woodburner by your side, gazing out over a perfect pile of logs at a sunset.......

While your wife is busy making a meal for you :)

raybonz said:
firefighterjake said:
I don't see how it is easier to do what he does at all! Especially since that is their only heat source.. I'd have like 50 cords all around the house if that were me! I can't even imagine a house in the 30's inside!!! Your sister must be some sort of a saint LOL
Ray

when wood needed just reach out the window,plus great insulation ;-P

2232039487_90e5d700c9.gif

loon

WOW
21 °F right now. About a 24 deg warm up. Nice.
Can burn stove on a lower setting, house was 74 this AM, to warm.
To be 20 deg. in Fairbanks tomorrow, thats a 50 deg warm up.

All that cold air, that was here, is going thru Canada now, headed
toward the North W. states.
We Alaskan's love to share :)

Status
Not open for further replies.