6 minutes of simplicity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim K in PA

Minister of Fire
I timed myself the last two mornings. Put on coat & boots, walk out to the GARN shed (120'), load the GARN, light, turn on the fan, close the door, watch flue temp rise to 200, walk back to the house. 6 minutes total.

In 90 minutes I put heat into the house and raised the GARN storage temp from 165->185. Outside temps in the high 20s.

I love my GARN. Other than going back to oil I could not imagine an easier means of heating my house (and garage).

Very nice! How is the wood consumption?

Yeah....well....try doing it in your boxers! Ha - only kidding. Sounds like you have an excellent routine. I currently make my EKO starting a 1-2 beer affair each day after work. It's a nice unwinding ritual I have now....

With my tarm in the detached garage I put on a pot of coffee in the morning, run out to the boiler ,start a fire, load it up and the coffee is just about done when I get back up the the house. In the evening though, it is a diferent story. I take my time re-kindling move a bit of wood inside have a beer or 2 and then I get back up to the house to the recliner next to the fridge. Life is great.
Mike

Sparke - I am averaging about 1/3->1/2 cord per week. On the lower end for the good stuff, more when I am using wetter/crappier wood. I try to mix the crap with the good stuff, but can't always get that right.

Stee6043 - well :p to you . . . :lol: Seriously, you are 100% correct; being able to load the GARN in my skivvies would make it even easier and faster, but there are other bennies for taking the walk. I am an avid skywatcher. I am treasuring the view of the stars and planets that I see every morning and evening. And now that the sun is up earlier, I get to see some incredibly beautiful, but fleeting, sunrises. I am a morning guy, so this is prime time for me. In the evening I also enjoy the routine, and an oatmeal stout, too :coolsmile: . And this is the intangible part of this process. The rituals are basic, satisfying, and something we have lost in the last 75 years of automatic deliveries and programmable thermostats. The switch to wood heating has been an UPGRADE in my lifestyle, without a doubt.

[Hey ADMIN: we need a beer icon in the smileys]

Jim K in PA said:
Sparke - I am averaging about 1/3->1/2 cord per week. On the lower end for the good stuff, more when I am using wetter/crappier wood. I try to mix the crap with the good stuff, but can't always get that right.

Stee6043 - well :p to you . . . :lol: Seriously, you are 100% correct; being able to load the GARN in my skivvies would make it even easier and faster, but there are other bennies for taking the walk. I am an avid skywatcher. I am treasuring the view of the stars and planets that I see every morning and evening. And now that the sun is up earlier, I get to see some incredibly beautiful, but fleeting, sunrises. I am a morning guy, so this is prime time for me. In the evening I also enjoy the routine, and an oatmeal stout, too :coolsmile: . And this is the intangible part of this process. The rituals are basic, satisfying, and something we have lost in the last 75 years of automatic deliveries and programmable thermostats. The switch to wood heating has been an UPGRADE in my lifestyle, without a doubt.

[Hey ADMIN: we need a beer icon in the smileys]

I agree 158%. I don't care if you burner is inside, outside, EKO, Tarm, Garn or a $200 unit from Lowes. I think most of the folks on this site just plain ole enjoy the process. We try to squeeze our systems to be more efficient just because it's something fun to do. And I couldn't agree more with your last statement. There is something quite satisfying about being able to "unplug" at least a little of the dependency most of us have on "modern technology". Now if I could just kick this hearth.com addiction I have. ha.

Burning wood is definitely a lifestyle choice. And one that I think embodies at least part of what makes this such a great country. It's the satisfaction of doing something for yourself and for your independence. It's gasifying... I mean gratifying.

cheers

You are all wrong! Wood burning and especially gassifiers are NOT a lifestyle choice. It is an addiction, you just can't shake it. We may all need a 12 pack I mean 12 step program to help ourselves. I don't think it is simpler as the more we try for effiecincy The more complicated the boiler become, the more we rely on technology and are more time consuming. The same goes for this site, I'm addicted I might miss that one peice of information that might be just what I need to tweek the system. Well keep up all the comment and threads as winter is soon gone I hope although we got 6" of snow last night and we were pretty much bare the beginning of the week. Good Luck Jim

I was starting to get a little bored until Cave2K came along and turned us on to tuning the gasifier. Now I can play around to my heart's content and reap immediate and tangible satisfaction from the effort.

muleman51 said:
You are all wrong! Wood burning and especially gassifiers are NOT a lifestyle choice. It is an addiction, you just can't shake it. We may all need a 12 pack I mean 12 step program to help ourselves. I don't think it is simpler as the more we try for effiecincy The more complicated the boiler become, the more we rely on technology and are more time consuming. The same goes for this site, I'm addicted I might miss that one peice of information that might be just what I need to tweek the system. Well keep up all the comment and threads as winter is soon gone I hope although we got 6" of snow last night and we were pretty much bare the beginning of the week. Good Luck Jim

It's so true. I spend hours every day learning and researching different people's experiences with their gasifiers... As a dealer, the more I know, the more I can educate customers about the sickness I just sold them. Gas-Anon anyone?

cheers.

Ever since I got into this aspect of wood burning, I just don't see propane tanks the way I used to. No kidding, when I pass someones house and see a 500 gallon propane tank just laying there, I see hot water storage.

All I know is that i go out about 5 to 7 pm at night, light(six minutes is about right) and fill fire box, and refill before bed. This weather is good. Not like the -35 we had in mid jan, burned more wood than I liked, but still a lot warmer than the year before relying on oil. That was damn nice. When the unit starts circulating the 180 to 195 degree water thru the baseboard, house heats up in a hurry. Gotta love it. Got staple up radiant in the kitchen, finish the living room floor this summer and should be better all around.

Got 10 inches of snow the other day and suppose to get 12 to 18 sun night. The warmer winter weather comes with a price, more snow to shovel and snowblow. But the snowblowing is a little easier than most, the unit is 9ft wide x 4ft high. :coolsmile:

Well I got to go out and fill the fire box for the second time. No complaints, doesn't do any good.

I am definitely burning way less wood, and getting way more comfort, with my gasifier than with my former wood/ hot air furnace, which was a really well designed and well-made unit, for what it was, and in good shape.

Zero point zero gallons of oil burned for household heating since 1-15-09. Never could've done that with my old unit- just did not get enough heat, or sustain it for long enough, to let the house coast between fires without the oil kicking on.

And I don't even have storage yet, and my controls are rudimentary/ preliminary. And I am using a water-air HX so as to re-utilize my existing ductwork, even though I know that that involves compromises.

It can only get better from here, but I am pretty pleased with the results to date- which are due in huge part from inspiration and information from around here.

pybyr said:
I am definitely burning way less wood, and getting way more comfort, with my gasifier than with my former wood/ hot air furnace, which was a really well designed and well-made unit, for what it was, and in good shape.

Zero point zero gallons of oil burned for household heating since 1-15-09. Never could've done that with my old unit- just did not get enough heat, or sustain it for long enough, to let the house coast between fires without the oil kicking on.

And I don't even have storage yet, and my controls are rudimentary/ preliminary. And I am using a water-air HX so as to re-utilize my existing ductwork, even though I know that that involves compromises.

It can only get better from here, but I am pretty pleased with the results to date- which are due in huge part from inspiration and information from around here.

Less wood AND more comfort seem to be the rule of the day. People go from 68* to 72 or 74* when they switch from their fossil fuel system to wood... many don't realize that it takes quite a bit more fuel to do this... and are STILL thrilled with the results of wood usage. It's a good deal for sure.

I too have used ZERO amount of any fossil fuel this year since the hookup of the gasifier. To date, I have used 4.3 cord for the season. I started out with mostly all good and dry soft maple and ash... and about 3/4 cord of junk pine. Now I seem to be getting in to alot of poplar in the pile... and it's still wet. It dries fast in the basement, but it doesn't produce anywhere near the heat that ash does. I am starting on my wood for next year now... should have it done by the time summer gets here so that it has the max amount of time to dry before next fall. I suspect I will use even less wood next year since I will be adding some radiant in another 1000 sq feet, and adding storage.

My controls are also pretty simple... and simple is generally more trouble free. The only thing I plan on adding is the Timer with the thru-control for the tempering circ. I am also going to hook up another relay to run the air handler in the basement as a dump zone in the even the boiler gets too hot. Haven't had that happen yet, but it's still a good idea. I use a battery backup for power outages.

cheers

Now if I could just kick this hearth.com addiction I have. ha.[/quote]

addiction now there's something definitely wrong with this. you might want to see a dr about it.anyone that thinks this is an addiction must have something wrong with them. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.