8" reduced to 6" ????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gnatboy911

Jan 10, 2011
Western, CO
I am a big newbie here, so this may be a stupid question. but, I'm trying to do as much research as possible before i start buying/installing any of my stove pipe stuff. I have a Fisher Grandma Bear stove, it has an 8 inch pipe. I found that 8 inch is a lot more expensive than 6 inch. Would it work to reduce the size to 6 after it leaves the stove? What are the members' feelings on this subject?

thanks for any advice. i've searched the forums but havn't found much yet.

Gnatboy911

This is a common question. The answer is no, the Grandma is going to suck a lot of air and go through a lot of wood. Personally I would get a good new stove with 6" pipe and give the Fisher to dad for his shop.

gnatboy911 said:
I am a big newbie here, so this may be a stupid question. but, I'm trying to do as much research as possible before i start buying/installing any of my stove pipe stuff. I have a Fisher Grandma Bear stove, it has an 8 inch pipe. I found that 8 inch is a lot more expensive than 6 inch. Would it work to reduce the size to 6 after it leaves the stove? What are the members' feelings on this subject?

thanks for any advice. i've searched the forums but havn't found much yet.

Gnatboy911

I just sold my Blaze King Classic stove which had a 8" pipe going into an 6" thimble.The stove burned well however everytime I reloaded I'd get smoke spillage into the house.This got old and the stove is gone.So smoke spillage is something you may have to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.