8" to 6" flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

capecodcub

Oct 6, 2010
eastern MA
Hello, first post here. I am looking at replacing my existing wood stove that has a 6" flue pipe. The stove I want to replace it with has 8". Is there a problem reducing the flue size on the new stove so that it works with the 6" liner that I am now using?? Thanks for any help and advice you can provide.
David

Hello

Putting any stove into a smaller flue may be against the building code or might fail an inspection. If it did not pass inspection, then the house insurance would not cover it in case of a fire. So you may want to check with your local town inspectors.

This question should really be posted in the Hearth room, it will likely get moved there shortly. A stove with an 8"flue should not be operated on a 6"flue. It will often not even work without smoking out into the room every time you open the door. There are some stoves that can be operated either way though, what kinda stove is it? Some Vermont Casting stoves are 8" but can operate on a 6"flue.

Status
Not open for further replies.