9 HP Briggs problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimdeq

Apr 23, 2010
northeastern wisconsin
My very old 9 HP briggs engine keeps fouling sparke plugs. It started running rough so I shut it off,then went to restart and it wouldnt. Put in new plug and it started and ran for about 4 hours and then the same thing happened. Whats Up?

Yep, if you are fouling plugs, it means that you are introducing something it can't get burned up. It could be in the form of oil or too rich on the carb, although I would expect it to really run like crap if it is rich enough to foul a plug in 4 hours. Sounds to me like it is valve guides or piston rings introducing oil vapor.

Jags said:
Yep, if you are fouling plugs, it means that you are introducing something it can't get burned up. It could be in the form of oil or too rich on the carb, although I would expect it to really run like crap if it is rich enough to foul a plug in 4 hours. Sounds to me like it is valve guides or piston rings introducing oil vapor.

X2.... On That One.. Some people don't believe in Marvel "Mystery Oil" or other Products like "SeaFoam" or STP makes a few... These products try to "Re-Seal" Wear-Fit parts.^ ( Rings, Valve Guides) ^..But depending on how old your motor is, and how much you want it to quit burning oil "Cheaply". I would try one before dropping a Big Dime on a Rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.