A 2 cord HH, should be what diameter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FatttFire

Feb 14, 2008
Snowbelt, Ohio
Hello everybody! Its been a while since I have been here, and it is nice to be back after a horrible summer! I have my 4 cords of wood to the house and ready to go, and I was going to start splitting for next year. I wanted to start a HH, and was wondering what size it should be for 2 cords, or even for 4 cords, which is what I burn every winter. Can anybody tell me?

I would recommend building 2 hh with a 6 to 7 foot diameter base and go maybe 7feet high. I think if you try to make 1 large hh you may not get the "draft" effect of air circulation throughout. Just my opinion.

+1 That is exactly the dimensions of mine which is around 2 to 2.5 cords.

I build Holz hausens that are 8 feet in diameter, and make them about head hight (i am 5 ft 8 inches tall) at the outer edge, sloping up to a peak of about 7 feet in the center. Each one calcs as about 2.25 cords when built, then they shrink a little to about 2 cords of dry wood. I build them head height because if they were much taller it would be a hassle to remove the wood from the top when it is time to burn.

With an 8 ft diameter, the radius is four feet and the basal area is 4 squared times pi, or 16 times pi, or about 50 square feet. A cord is 128 cubic feet, so each 2.5 feet of height is about a cord of wood (2.5 ft high times 50 square feet is 125 cubic feet of wood). That means a five foot holz hausen is two cords, and my approx. 6 or 6.5 ft holz hausens are about 2.25 or 2 1/2 cords. I had originally planned to build 8 ft diameter by 8 foo tall holz hausens, and each would then hold pi cords of wood, but I realized that it would be a pain to get firewood down from the top of an 8 ft stack. I really don't know if my holz hausens are built properly to create the magical chimney effect that seasons wood in three months. I am just happy that they don't fall over, look nice, and stand up on their own.

They say figures don't lie but liars always figure... A cord is 128 cu ft when neatly ranked up parallel while loose tossed is somewhere closer to 180 or 200 cu ft. Since a holtz is stacked in an arc, there will be more air than in a straight row so a simple calculation using pi and based on 128 cu ft per cord won't quite cut it.

Also, I stack my holz hausens with a lot of air space, so that reduces the volume of wood I put in there. Still, a 6 ft tall by 8 ft diameter holz hausen contains about 300 cubic feet of space, so I am confident that there are at least two cords of wood in each one. I'll stick with my original answer to the original question - make it 8 ft diameter by 6 feet tall to create a 2 cord holz hausen.

If anybody has a free afternoon, please go out and stack two cords of wood into a holz hausen and see how large it is.

LOL.................... wood duck! Excellent I will go for the two HH idea I like that one, I can just see my short ass ( 5' 9" ) trying to jump up to get the last piece on and collapsing the whole thing!

Thanks!

Wood Duck said:
I had originally planned to build 8 ft diameter by 8 foo tall holz hausens, and each would then hold pi cords of wood, but I realized that it would be a pain to get firewood down from the top of an 8 ft stack. I really don't know if my holz hausens are built properly to create the magical chimney effect that seasons wood in three months. I am just happy that they don't fall over, look nice, and stand up on their own.

WoodDuck, I built my fist HH that way precisely to have pi cords of wood as well :) I calculated the outer height of the HH was 7'8" whilst the centre height was 8'8", because the top sloping roof part is like a cone, which is 1/3 volume of a cylinder, given radius and height the same :) Mind you my HH fell over so I made the 2nd HH smaller then wrapped chicken wire around it.

I am disputing the magical chimney effect and currently running a HH vs normal stacked row seasoning experiment Down Under, I will have the results when I burn my wood this autumn (~April to May) so a few months away yet. My signature has more experiment details . . .

Apprentice, I think the idea for a holz hausen containing pi cords of wood came from you. It definitely wasn't my original idea, and I got the idea here at Hearth.com

I like pie

How many pies is a chord of wood?

FatttFire said:
I was going to start splitting for next year. I wanted to start a HH, and was wondering what size it should be for 2 cords, or even for 4 cords, which is what I burn every winter. Can anybody tell me?

do you want the measurement to be before ~ or after that euro heap hauzen falls over .those things are a big waste of time
wood needs maximum air and exposed space and sun(or atleast warm temps ) to season *in a reasonable amount of time*
they do look pretty though

If you have access to some pallets, put 4 of them together in a square and get the HH off the ground, it will be about 7' diameter for standard sized pallets. I like to put bricks under my pallets to get a few more years out of them as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0105.jpg
    IMG_0105.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 522
Status
Not open for further replies.