A big beautiful blow down.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skyline

Burning Hunk
Oct 29, 2009
Oregon
A wind storm took over this D. Fir last year and I was never able to get at it. All but the top was way too big to pull out with my tractor but a week of dry weather and a great neighbor with his backhoe came over so we could pull it to where it was accessible to chunk out. Even these chunks were a challenge to handle. The base of the main log where I bucked it was 36" and 40' to where it split in to two equal stems 22" each. Hopefully I can find a way to mill some of it for a bar top or some other use. Nothing against firewood, I'd just rather have a cold beer on this piece and keep warm from one of its branches.

The first 20'
DSC_9269.jpg

The 2nd 20' where it split in to 2 stems
DSC_9268.jpg

All skidded out.
DSC_9271.jpg

DSC_9272.jpg

DSC_9274.jpg

Wow, that is a specimen right there! :eek: Looks like the D. Fir holds up pretty well if it's down for a while. I'm sure that will make some beautiful slabs of wood...can't wait to see the pics! ==c

Wow, that is a specimen right there! :eek: Looks like the D. Fir holds up pretty well if it's down for a while. I'm sure that will make some beautiful slabs of wood...can't wait to see the pics! ==c

It doesn't last too long around here, but if its off the ground it has a chance for a little while, which some of this was. I should have tried to get some of the bark off and it would have done even better.
No if only I had a mill>>

Nice log to grab a slab from, it will make a great bar top.

zap

372 to the rescue!

The slab wood you get from a tree that big, will make quit a bit of fire wood.
Nice score :)

That would be a joy to mill.

Wow, that's about 3 cord sitting there. That's a thing of beauty! Are you doing any moisture testing this year?

Wow, that's about 3 cord sitting there. That's a thing of beauty! Are you doing any moisture testing this year?

Bigfoot,
I calc'd out the base 40' as just over 3 cords, but I'm trying to do something different with it than firewood. I have a friend that carves and I just need a mill or more imagination. I only wished I had gotten to it sooner. I still have a few drying/weight experiments going. It will be great to see what our May weather has done. I'm sure that everything I c/s/s in april will be below 20% by Sept. Let me know if you come up towards Portland and want to split a round or two:)

Bigfoot,
I calc'd out the base 40' as just over 3 cords, but I'm trying to do something different with it than firewood. I have a friend that carves and I just need a mill or more imagination. I only wished I had gotten to it sooner. I still have a few drying/weight experiments going. It will be great to see what our May weather has done. I'm sure that everything I c/s/s in april will be below 20% by Sept. Let me know if you come up towards Portland and want to split a round or two:)

I will! :)

I'm taking Friday off, and will be working on load number 2 from my friend's logging he had done on his property. I cut a load of maple there 9 days ago. I'm not sure if I will go after more maple, or Doug Fir, or some ash, or pine, or fruitwood. He has spruce too, but I'll leave that, it's low on my list of PNW firewood. Of course, with this new batch of rain, I might not be able to drive to the wood if its muddy, so Friday's wood cutting plans are iffy. I have a lot to split/stack already, so that will be an alternate plan. I'm pushing to get 3 years ahead. 2012/2013 done and in the shed. 2013/2014 done (not quite all split). Working on 2014/2015 bucking now.

My brother in law has a large Douglas Fir about 36" diameter he will have professionally cut sometime this summer or fall. I'm guessing 3+ cords of wood from that beast. Your pics remind me of that tree that's still alive. I hope he waits until next year, to tell you the truth, but the roots are really messing up his driveway and encroaching on the foundation.

I'd be interested in your drying experiments, as I am in the same weather patterns.

Status
Not open for further replies.