A big thanks to the forum members (from a new T5 woodstove owner)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PerryBurton

Jul 15, 2011
Downtown Canada
Hey folks,
I just want to drop a note to thank all the forum members who voice their opinions on experiences with woodstoves.
I have been looking for a good quality stove for my house for several months and upon finding this forum it has been instrumental in helping me decide which stove to buy.
For others in my situation here's the lowdown;
I own a 1 1/2 story Cape Cod 1300ft2 on the coast of Newfoundland Canada... cold and fog.
heated by oil fired hot water radiation. $$$
had a propane fireplace but didn't like the costs of running it.
Wanted a nice looking heat source in my living room to replace the fireplace and to supplement my oil heating.

Considered a pellet stove but cost of pellets in area and complexity/reliability of the pellet stoves made me decide against it. having to wait for parts or stove tech is not my idea of quiet reliability.
looked for a non Cat wood stove for simplicity no buying of Cats and a nice fire to look at.

Decided on a Alderlea T5 non Cat. after searching the forum for all the models I liked and their strengths/weaknesses.

A person in my situation don't need to ask the question, just search here and someone has already done it and had it answered.

Again Thanks,

Perry

Of course you now "owe" us for all the information that was provided gratis . . . of course we're cheap and easy . . . just be sure to post a pic of your new stove when it is installed . . . some folks here really get excited to see new stoves on new hearths . . . it makes our heart go all a pitter patter. ;) :) Congrats on the new purchase.

I thought that might be the case, and only fair. Oh the stove is installed... I just need to finish the renno on the living room where I tore out my fireplace etc. I actually had 2 places to put the stove hearth, so I measured and masked off spots on my floor with proxy stove made from end table and cardboard for scale, I dont like cutting multiple holes in my wall because I (my wife) changed my mind.
I was looking at a Jotul F500 but the only seller in area was asking too much for everything.
Maine... aah nice place, and Bangor. Been there but only once. Been to Houlton a million times though.

Congrats on the new stove, the T-5 is a good looking unit. I'll keep my lip zipped on the cat comments. :zip:

Congrats on the stove I'm sure you will enjoy when the cold weather hits. Looking forward to seeing the pictures of the finished product.
Judging from the fact that you have been reading on here I'm sure you are familiar with the woodshed and are already cutting and stacking so you will have dry wood right.... ;-)

Thanks guys, I'll post pictures when the place is cleaned up a bit.
Woodshed.... yeah.... its a chicken and egg thing. I need to push a road up to the back of my property in order to store my wood so it won't be in my driveway. So no official wood pile yet. I have a connection with a local to buy last years 8ft cut wood so I need to cut/junk/pile/dry.
but in meantime I do have a supply of dry scrap lumber left from a bunch of projects that's cluttering my basement (no not painted or pressure treated) I knew I was saving that wood for a reason :)

Welcome to the forum Perry!

It's nice to see another East-Coast Canadian on the forums.

Get the wood cutting started and let it dry. It's one of the biggest resources your way!

You guys in NFLD have similar winters to me (Gaspe, QC) and a stove is a great investment!

Cheers
Andrew

Congratulations Perry. That's a great stove, you'll love it. However, without a good flue and good wood, you will not be able to appreciate how nice it is. Get the wood taken care of now. Last year's wood will not be seasoned until it has had a chance to dry. It needs to be split and preferably stacked to dry out. Can you get some already split and dry wood now to carry you through this season?

Good stove indeed, it seems well built and well it won't exactly slide of my hearth pad if anyone bumps into it :)
My wood situation is not ideal for this year so I'll get by with my scrap, and worst case trailer in some dry split wood from my brothers place.
The dry scrap wood pile would fill a normal pickup truck so that's about 1/2 cord.

I had a nice pile of blow downs cut and dried but I used it all up in the woodstove in my temporary boat shop (tarp shop) The stove was a discarded hotwater tank modified with a stainless top... A great little stove.. not very efficient but it could crank out the heat! Alas I burnt all that wood, and every piece of junk that would burn. Thats a story for another thread LOL :)

Perry

I'd have at least a couple cords of split dry wood on hand. Scraps burn too quickly and could risk an overfire with a full load. Use them for starting fires and quick chill chasers, but not for the primary fires.

I'm positive of that. Small bits of plywood makes for a hot fast fire for sure. My so called scrap is pieces of 2x4, 2x6, and lots of plywood.. but for the reason you stated I don't want to use that too much, as well chopped a bit smaller makes for good starter kindling.

Perry

BeGreen,
Ho long have you had your T6?

P

It served it's first season on The Chimneysweep's showroom floor. I picked it up in late winter from Tom's store. We'll be going on the third season of use this fall.

NL hermit said:
BeGreen,
Ho long have you had your T6?

P

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new T-5! I bought an unburned floor model T-5 with blower and rebuilt the hearth.. The stove will be installed next Tuesday and I look forward to seeing it burn!

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.