A couple of ID's please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
The large sprawling tree is not going to be cut but still want to know what it is. You have the tree and the bark to go by.
The other pics are some softwood given to me...won't be taking anymore but still want to know what it isw...fairly light weight and split fairly easy...I kinda like the grain color.

Attachments

• pasture tree.jpg
    pasture tree.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 542
  • pasture tree bark.jpg
    pasture tree bark.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 329
  • softwood bark.jpg
    softwood bark.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 473
  • softwood end.jpg
    softwood end.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 319
  • softwood split2.jpg
    softwood split2.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 325
Tight grain nice score....Not sure what it is.

Is that Catalpa? I cut some from a neighbor's huge storm damaged tree years back.Light weight, kinda soft,like Butternut,bit less than Silver Maple,coarse tight grain,about that color & smelled kinda 'spicy' like cinnamon or something.Good for carving I've heard.Dries fast with little checking/warping.

The last pic is sassafrass and the third. Smells good, easy to split, sparks when burn it, burns fast, light weight, low btus. One of my least favorite woods to burn here. It is related to Locust so it is rot resistant but does not burn or weigh anything like it. The first pic, and assuming second, must be a dead Ash.

GolfandWoodNut said:
The first pic, and assuming second, must be a dead Ash.

Not sure on that, it looks like the branches are alternating and not opposite like an ash would be. Of course the picture isn't great on this screen so maybe I'm seeing it wrong.

rdust said:
GolfandWoodNut said:
The first pic, and assuming second, must be a dead Ash.

Not sure on that, it looks like the branches are alternating and not opposite like an ash would be. Of course the picture isn't great on this screen so maybe I'm seeing it wrong.

You could be right, I was also thinking Pignut Hickory as I have some trees with bark like that. I do not usually see that many branches on trees though because my trees do not grow in the open.

Ash, Sassafras

GolfandWoodNut said:
The last pic is sassafrass and the third. Smells good, easy to split, sparks when burn it, burns fast, light weight, low btus.
Yep. For cold starts, I used some that I split small and a few medium-sized pieces, to get the Ash/Oak loads burning. It sounds like you are popping corn in the stove.
:lol:

Hard to tell on this picture, but my guess right now is a beech. Possibly a European beech because of the broad, round profile.

index.php

A closer look and maybe a twig with buds should be enough for a good ID.

GolfandWoodNut said:
The last pic is sassafrass and the third. Smells good, easy to split, sparks when burn it, burns fast, light weight, low btus. One of my least favorite woods to burn here. It is related to Locust so it is rot resistant but does not burn or weigh anything like it. The first pic, and assuming second, must be a dead Ash.

The standing tree is not dead....I'll try to get better close up pics and will post the leaves when they come out.
The split wood is VERY light...I was amazed how light a good size round was when I picked it up. Lady has a bunch of it cut up into 2' sections but I think I'll pass on the rest of it. Wish there were some decent leaves around to know for sure.

Are trees one and two the same. If they are there is no way it is beech. Beech has a smooth trunk. I have found carvings from a hundred years ago in some of the beech trees on my property because it is like a clean slate.

GolfandWoodNut said:
Are trees one and two the same. If they are there is no way it is beech. Beech has a smooth trunk. I have found carvings from a hundred years ago in some of the beech trees on my property because it is like a clean slate.

Yes, they are the same tree. Leaves will tell us more in a month or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.