A few questions for the experts on a new stove install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaHole

Oct 2, 2010
WI
I have been doing a lot of reading here and want to thank those that have put so much information on the site. It has made my process of buying a wood stove a lot more simple then I thought.

I read the three article about what stove to buy and have purchased a Drolet Austral stove. It is not a fancy stove, but it seems to have good specs and should meet my needs for a great price. I plan to offset my LP heat with this as much as I can. I have a 1200sf ranch and the stove is going to be in the middle of the basement. I know that is not the best location, but I have no room to put it up stairs. I do have insulation on the outside of the basement walls so that should help some. I also have a newer furnace that has a fan only setting so it will take hot air from the basement and blow it upstairs so that will help.

I have lots of clearance so I only need single wall pipe and have a short run of about 20" up and 16" over to my internal masonry chimney with a 9x9 clay fire tile liner. The chimney, liner, and fire cement are all in great shape and had been used with a wood cook stove in the past.

Here are my questions.

I read that I should be using three screws for each connection, but the output of the stove is solid steel and does not have any holes for that so should I drill them and put in the screws? Is the answer the same regardless if I put a trimmed down 24" duravent 1624 pipe straight into the stove or first put in an a stove top adapter like a duravent adapter model # 1677. If I put the adapter in then I can attach my vertical pipe to it with the screws.

I bought an in pipe thermometer. Should I put it in the vertical section or the horizontal section of the pipe?

Any concerns or tips about using a internal 9x9 chimney that is in good shape without buying a 6" round liner?

Thanks in advance for the help.

<>I read that I should be using three screws for each connection, but the output of the stove is solid steel and does not have any holes for that so should I drill them and put in the screws? Is the answer the same regardless if I put a trimmed down 24" duravent 1624 pipe straight into the stove or first put in an a stove top adapter like a duravent adapter model # 1677. If I put the adapter in then I can attach my vertical pipe to it with the screws.

Your stove has a vertical flue collar, correct? If so you can simply slide your first piece down into that collar & forgo the screws

I bought an in pipe thermometer. Should I put it in the vertical section or the horizontal section of the pipe?

Vertical section, a foot or so above the flue collar should be fine

Any concerns or tips about using a internal 9x9 chimney that is in good shape without buying a 6" round liner?

Other than some possible smoke in your basement at start up, probably not.
Just make sure you extend your horizontal connector at LEAST 1" into the flue tiles
so that any creosote forming in there will run down INSIDE the tiles

Thanks Bob,

They only issue I see based on your answer is that my horizontal connector is already fixed into place and upon inspection it is flush with the inside wall of the fire clay tile. I could move it, but that would require me busting it out and putting in a new piece and that does not sound attractive to me. Would I be better of to use the bottom door, a light, and mirror to check it after a few months to see if I have build up or cut my losses now and fix it before I even start?

Question . . . why did you buy a probe style thermometer for your flue . . . I only ask this since most folks that go this route have double wall pipe -- not singlewall -- which is why they go with the probe style thermometer and not the cheaper magnetic style thermometer.

Status
Not open for further replies.