A Free Wood Gathering Method and the Beauty of Craigslist

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jutt77

Feeling the Heat
Dec 18, 2010
Bailey, Colorado
Good news Folks,

I just installed my wood stove insert around the end of last month and its been awesome so far. There's nothing quite like heating the entire house with free fuel. In my quest for free fuel I've been doing some pretty major scrounging primarily by using the ole Craigslist free ads. While this has produced some decent scores I've also showed up to some locations only to find sawdust. Not a big deal, thats just part of the game I guess but there has to be a better way to score some free wood.

Here in Colorado, we can gather wood from National Forests but the forests around here mostly contain softwoods. And while there's no shortage of pine it still takes twice as much to equal the output of oak or a similar hardwood. That leaves us to scrounge for city wood. Years ago folks planted non-native species like elm, red oak, locust and others here in the Front Range plains around the Denver metro area. So one of the best bets for free good hardwood is to luck out from a Craigslist ad but you have to jump on these ads and since I work a day job by the time I can go gather the wood its usually long gone.

Since local tree services do most of their work here in the metro area they are the best bet for good wood which is why most sell firewood as part of their business model. So I just recently posted a CL free ad for a free place for tree services and/or arborists to dump their wood...my front yard. My ad explained to call me for my address and to chat beforehand. The beauty is that they avoid paying dump fees and I avoid having to scrounge or pay for wood, plus my location is convenient for most of this area. Within a half hour of posting the ad I received a call from a nice gentleman that owns a local tree service that just got out of the firewood business and he took me up on my offer to dump his wood at my place! I'll be getting 4 trees worth of elm, delivered, for free, starting next week (one of the better woods we can get out here). He also deals with a lot of locust and some other premium Colorado woods. We agreed to restrict this to 5" or larger diameter pieces, no small branches, and no Cottonwood. His comment was "get ready for a LOT of wood, we're super busy". That was like sweet music to my ears! A friend of mine that heats with wood lives only 1/2 mile away has a 25 ton splitter. I offered him half the wood I get if he brings his splitter over from time to time to which he agreed. Life is good!

At any rate, this has probably been done before and may be old news but I thought I'd share the plan as an idea for others.

sounds like you're set up pretty good!

this is how i get wood from a tree service. didnt happen through craigslist but same deal they dont sell it and have to pay to dump it.

Yeah, Ive been placing ads on Craigslist for tree co's to dump in my driveway for about 3 years now. I also call the local tree co's and speak to them personally, letting them know my situation. It has worked out very well, so far. Sometimes the stuff isnt the straightest, but, hey - it IS FREE BTU's. Ive built some good relationships with a few of these guys now, and they have been bringing me better stuff each year -- mostly oak and ash, some locust. Don't need to take any "lesser" woods. right now I have more than I can handle, and recently had to turn a few companies down when they called - no more room. Wood is available- if you know where to look, and are persistant yet patient. :)

Good for you.

I'm betting you will very soon say, "STOP!" They will probably bury you in wood unless you have some acreage for stacking huge quantities.

Have a friend who had this deal. He got a lot of good wood , but he also got a lot of junk wood and stuff that was to big for him to process. He had a giant mess after a year or so.
He don't get wood from them anymore becouse around here ther is almost unlimited dead white ash that's easy to process and burns great after seasoning for a summer. Even burns better
if you give it longer.

I do not have a regular "FREE" wood dump but I do have some regular people who come and get it. It does take some ethics to avoid dumping crap wood at someones house when you know it is crap. I could not do this to people... I do like to burn myself so when I get more ahead I'll probably will have extra for my regular picker uppers!

Backwoods Savage said:
Good for you.

I'm betting you will very soon say, "STOP!" They will probably bury you in wood unless you have some acreage for stacking huge quantities.

Hey Savage,

Man, I hope so! Thats exactly the kind of problem I want to have:)

wood-fan-atic said:
Yeah, Ive been placing ads on Craigslist for tree co's to dump in my driveway for about 3 years now. I also call the local tree co's and speak to them personally, letting them know my situation. It has worked out very well, so far. Sometimes the stuff isnt the straightest, but, hey - it IS FREE BTU's. Ive built some good relationships with a few of these guys now, and they have been bringing me better stuff each year -- mostly oak and ash, some locust. Don't need to take any "lesser" woods. right now I have more than I can handle, and recently had to turn a few companies down when they called - no more room. Wood is available- if you know where to look, and are persistant yet patient. :)

I hoping that this pans for us out like it did for you but I agree, free BTUs are free BTUs. Thanks for sharing.

woodsmaster said:
Have a friend who had this deal. He got a lot of good wood , but he also got a lot of junk wood and stuff that was to big for him to process. He had a giant mess after a year or so.
He don't get wood from them anymore becouse around here ther is almost unlimited dead white ash that's easy to process and burns great after seasoning for a summer. Even burns better
if you give it longer.

Good point. So far we have agreed to 1) no Cottonwood and 2) nothing smaller than around 5" in diameter. Hopefully I can build enough of a stockpile (20 cords?) to hold us for a few years and have them stop delivering once we get to that point.

I post for services to dump, and also scrounge. I posted a while back about one guy who was dumping and it was going great until he started dumping some crap punky wood. It was about two cords worth, so I had a mess on my hands. I salvaged about 3/4, but had to get rid of some that was just too far gone. On that last trip, he was also looking to unload some brush, which was not part of the agreement. We parted ways. Fast forward a year and a half...and my wife just told me he called the house. No message, but I suspect he enjoyed the ability to free himself of dump fees. I also think that he tried to get into t he firewood business after he realized he was dumping money on my driveway. When I get home from Afghanistan, I am going to give him a call. Like you have done, the key is to make sure the terms are up front. If it works for both parties, it is a win win. They don't pay dump fees, the wood stays out of the landfill and I get free BTUs. Being out of the hunt for a year (except the few cords I fetched while home on leave for two weeks) this spring will be a race to get some wood and get it split so I can remain ahead of the game.

Elm, nice wood to burn. Could be the worst stuff to split.

I just place my ad for tree service guys to bring me their wood of at least 3" diameter...I hope I get some bites on it. I think I'll repeat the ad every 30 days or so. We have a lot of open field and easy in/out of the property that I'm hoping appeals to somebody!
The people that usually have responded to my ads on CL when I offer to remove trees are usually folk with just some small limb damage they want taken care of. Last year I did have a guy respond and I wish I could have taken him up on the offer....around a dozen very tall ash that he wanted taken down(tired of the leaves in his gutters, etc) but all of them needed to be climbed to avoid property damage and that's not for me. Too bad since these trees had a lot of straight trunk wood...I could see maybe 4 years worth of firewood he had there...and they were easy to get to & he offered to help out....bummer!

Adkjake said:
Elm, nice wood to burn. Could be the worst stuff to split.

I hear ya. I offered half the wood I get to a friend of mind if he brings his 25ton splitter over just because of Elm.

I've developed this same method with the most local tree cutter. He's a real stand up guy and knows exactly the type of wood i'm looking for. Usually I'll get a cell phone call with the "Hey I'm cutting one up, its good wood, if you want it i'll drop it in your driveway." He's never failed me yet, its not much, but maybe a cord or so a month shows up for free.

sgt7546 said:
I've developed this same method with the most local tree cutter. He's a real stand up guy and knows exactly the type of wood i'm looking for. Usually I'll get a cell phone call with the "Hey I'm cutting one up, its good wood, if you want it i'll drop it in your driveway." He's never failed me yet, its not much, but maybe a cord or so a month shows up for free.

A cord/month delivered into your driveway.....sounds good to me! I would have to put him on my Christmas card list for sure :)

My CL ad was flagged for some reason and removed...

did any one else have this problem? I pretty much copy and pasted what was already on here.

Remmy122 said:

did any one else have this problem? I pretty much copy and pasted what was already on here.

Because people are pricks? Perhaps they don't like the idea of you getting free wood while they're paying too much for unseasoned wood. Just repost it.

What's good for the gander...

I just posted a CL ad, too.

Nancy

Remmy122 said:

yep, mine gets flagged all the time. I actually don't mind at all because my post goes to the top each time I repost. The idiots are actually aiding my cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.