A little excitement in the neighborhood yesterday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
We had some pretty big winds here yesterday and as I was coming home from work yesterday afternoon, saw that my neighbor's silver maple was laying down on the ground with its root ball sticking up in the air. He thought it was about 50 years old and is about 48" DBH so I of course offered my help in cutting it up.

Unfortunately, he has someone he wants to do it but he thought I could still have some of the wood but I was more looking for a chance to let the 7901 finally get into some big wood.

I let him know that I would still be happy to help so we will see where it goes.

Forgot to mention that you wouldn't believe the space the tree came down in. I don't know that you could've felled it any better. There wasn't more than 2 feet to their house and 6" to the neighbor's fence. Pretty amazing.

I stop by last year at a house with a 44in red oak and he told me up front it was for hes buddy, I replied if he gets into that trunk and can not make it I am the guy around the coner and just let me know. Week later he stop and said its yours he cant get a saw big enough to cut it. :coolsmirk: and a 7901 he will be your best friend soon enough!

I am kind of concerned how much the guy he is going to use knows as there are a few branches that could do some damage to his house if he isn't careful. Plus when you cut the root ball off the trunk she is going to do some interesting things.

Wendell, Mother Nature knows how to drop those trees very nicely. lol

You are right about that tree doing some funny things as you get to cutting. I hope he knows what he is doing lest he do some damage to the house.

We were supposed to get those big winds but 30 mph is as strong as it got here. We've had many days like that this year. Makes bike riding a bit difficult, but then, we have no hills to climb so riding into the wind gets us some practice for that.

I got to watch him a bit while he was working and he scared the #%*! out of me. He had on no chaps and was swinging around a Stihl top handle like a machete and was often cutting within a couple inches of his leg. He put no thought into the size he was cutting so there is stuff all different sizes. He even noodled all the bigger pieces so all I get to do is cut the root ball off the trunk. A guy from AS is going to meet me tomorrow and we are going to mill the rest of trunk. I wouldn't normally think of milling silver maple but he wanted to try and it and I am interested in seeing how it goes.

Sounds like he hasn't done much cutting if in all lengths. As for the chaps, I've never worn them either nor do I own a pair. My only safety equipment is hearing protection and a pair of leather gloves.

Any pictures?
We love pictures

wendell said:
For some reason I can't get the pictures to post so here is a link to them.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=135765

I seen that post is that your mill? ok read the post lol I took a nice clean trunk this weekend of silver maple to try myself really never would have thought of milling it but this one is very clean.

there it is! could only get 2 of them.

Attachments

• milling.jpg
    milling.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 234
  • milling 3.jpg
    milling 3.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 236
No, it was the other guys.

I'm not sure what happened that I couldn't get it to post. Each one had the Photobucket message that this photo has been moved or deleted when I previewed the post.

wendell said:
No, it was the other guys.

I'm not sure what happened that I couldn't get it to post. Each one had the Photobucket message that this photo has been moved or deleted when I previewed the post.

I got another 500 bf because of that post Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.