A Little Note For You Insert Burners About Stove Temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Last year I did a test using my old insert outside to see about the difference between the temperature of the top plate versus the temp on the front of the stove where a lot of insert burners measure. The results were questioned since it is a pre-EPA insert.

Tonight I had to do a hot reload in the 30-nc, which I usually avoid, and the stove top temp rolled up to 700. I checked the top plate temp versus the temp over the door where a lot of insert burners put the thermo and the temp is pretty steady at 150 degrees lower than the top plate of the stove. Just what Tom the chimneysweeponline observed when he tested for the same thing.

Just a little point of reference. Ignore it at your leisure.

BB,was this done in your R&D room. :lol:

Never ignored BrotherBart. Thanks
Gabe

Makes sense...heat rises, the heat will gather where the draft takes it,,,,, up.

I put my Rutland in the space between the stove top and the top plate (this is the area in which the blower pushes air over the top of the stove). I get readings around of 600/650 when it's going good. When I had the Rutland on the top plate, I would only get readings around 450.

Status
Not open for further replies.