A mild winter for new England Pellet-Heads!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Branson4720

Burning Hunk
I can't seem to remember a winter this mild in many, many years. :) Of course the stove still runs.....just not@ full-tilt 24/7. I haven't even touched the Cubies yet. Good.....more for next year's stockpile. :cheese:

Attachments

• DSC_4919 (Custom).jpg
    DSC_4919 (Custom).jpg
    193 KB · Views: 531
I know, it is not anything like last winter, but this is all the winter I want and more. On the pm news, there were people walking in the park in NY with their dogs, no coats. Well, I went out today and had to walk very carefully for fear of slipping. Last week, my son came up with his four wheeler and plow and got the frozen slush out of the yard. It is winter here, cold, pellets burning continues much the same as last year.
My only apprehension is that a lot of ice is still not safe and there are many anxious folks who take the risks to go out on it.
Kind of a way of life here in Maine.

I'm with you save$! :)

This is a nice winter for me. Only needed to burn 4 bags of my cubies, I'll happily sit on them for next season. Barely over a ton burned so far. Can I make it with only using 2?

So far so good, but some of us geezers have seen it like this before only to get really nasty during storm season (February) and stay that way until the end of April.

The old timers (those older than the current crop of geezers) used Groundhog's day to mark the half way point in the use of their winters wood or coal supply. Let me know how it works outs out for you when all is said and done.

SmokeyTheBear said:
So far so good, but some of us geezers have seen it like this before only to get really nasty during storm season (February) and stay that way until the end of April.

The old timers (those older than the current crop of geezers) used Groundhog's day to mark the half way point in the use of their winters wood or coal supply. Let me know how it works outs out for you when all is said and done.

No shadow~No shadow! :cheese:

Yeah I prolly jinxed myself. We'll get a cold snap and I'll burn a ton in a week now! Oh, I think I officially joined the geezer club. My AARP card is in my wallet! ;-)

j-takeman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Yeah I prolly jinxed myself. We'll get a cold snap and I'll burn a ton in a week now! Oh, I think I officially joined the geezer club. My AARP card is in my wallet! ;-)

I have a few years on you youngster, have some respect for the geezers for they have made it to geezerdom, have strong survival skills, and if they played their cards correctly no debt.

SmokeyTheBear said:

Well said!

SmokeyTheBear said:
j-takeman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

I have a few years on you youngster, have some respect for the geezers for they have made it to geezerdom, have strong survival skills, and if they played their cards correctly no debt.

Is there such a thing as a young geezers club? :cheese: I do respect my geezer elders! ;-)

My only apprehension is that a lot of ice is still not safe and there are many anxious folks who take the risks to go out on it.

Save$
Please go out and buy a pair of crampons or ice cleats. Don't risk broken bones!! They work great

Centurion said:
Please go out and buy a pair of crampons or ice cleats. Don't risk broken bones!! They work great

Yes they do, I use mine not only on the ice fishing trips. I also wear them when doing snow removal details.

I'm pretty sure that save$ is showing his concern for the not so swift people that try walking on thin ice on lakes or running snow machines or operate cars and pick up trucks where they shouldn't etc..

This is all prior to starting up their CO emitting heating devices inside their fishing shacks.

ETA: Tis the season of the fall throughs.

I spent the last 52 years working and finally retired the first of july. Going into the fall I was planning on how great It would be this winter being able to sleep late and wave to my neighbors as they Had to go to work In the snow or Ice. well mother nature had other plans for me. I can still rake leaves and I might as well fertilize the lawn If this keeps up. Not that I am unhappy with the mild weather. On a side note I went by my oil mans and there was a sign on his front lawn that said he will clean cellers or pump septic tanks for cash

HEY!! YOU GUYS.....SHHHHHHH.....stop talking about it or you'll jinx us. :mad:

Branson4720 said:
I can't seem to remember a winter this mild in many, many years. :) Of course the stove still runs.....just not@ full-tilt 24/7. I haven't even touched the Cubies yet. Good.....more for next year's stockpile. :cheese:

Keep checking the forecast for snow... I mean come on, we need a little!

Weird tolienish figure said:
Branson4720 said:

We had close to 2" of snow here today.

Uh, NO, we DON"T. Unless you volunteer to come plow my driveway and shovel all the steps/walks.....THEN it can snow all it wants.

Otherwise, :zip:

imacman said:

Uh, NO, we DON"T. Unless you volunteer to come plow my driveway and shovel all the steps/walks.....THEN it can snow all it wants.

Oh c'mon, snowing outside... Nice fire in the stove, what's more relaxing? :-D

j-takeman said:
My AARP card is in my wallet! ;-)
Looks like there is a apprentice Geezers group. I have my medicare card. And free entrance to state parks, but then I was getting in free with my retired military ID.

Yes Smokey, I do have grave concern for those who risk going out on the ice when it isn't ready. What gets me is someone will go through the ice and the next day more go out right in the same area.

I'm ready for winter to end, the sooner the better. Already looking through the new seed catalogs thinking what I might want to try next. (right up there with pellet shopping)

SmokeyTheBear said:
I'm pretty sure that save$ is showing his concern for the not so swift people that try walking on thin ice on lakes or running snow machines or operate cars and pick up trucks where they shouldn't etc..

This is all prior to starting up their CO emitting heating devices inside their fishing shacks.

Smokey, there's a big meeting tonight including IFW, Maine Warden's Service, PWD and local law enforcement to make a recommendation on whether or not to hold the Sebago Lake Ice Fishing Derby in 2 weeks. Living where you do, you probably know that there is no ice anywhere except for some of the coves.

Harman Lover 007 said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Smokey, there's a big meeting tonight including IFW, Maine Warden's Service, PWD and local law enforcement to make a recommendation on whether or not to hold the Sebago Lake Ice Fishing Derby in 2 weeks. Living where you do, you probably know that there is no ice anywhere except for some of the coves.

Well a short while ago there was a start to ice in the shallows but when we went to the transfer station on Saturday even that was gone or all broken up. My forecast is no Derby this year unless we get two weeks of sub zero weather. Even the brook that runs through the lot here is fairly free and the pond isn't safe to walk on. I'll put it this way you ain't going to walk to Frye to check your cottage.

save$ said:
j-takeman said:
My AARP card is in my wallet! ;-)
Looks like there is a apprentice Geezers group. I have my medicare card. And free entrance to state parks, but then I was getting in free with my retired military ID.

Yes Smokey, I do have grave concern for those who risk going out on the ice when it isn't ready. What gets me is someone will go through the ice and the next day more go out right in the same area.

I'm ready for winter to end, the sooner the better. Already looking through the new seed catalogs thinking what I might want to try next. (right up there with pellet shopping)

Save$ - Was your concern brought about because of the truck that went through North Pond recently? Supposedly, the guy has gone through the ice 8 times already. Some people never learn....
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=217197.0

SmokeyTheBear said:
Harman Lover 007 said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Well a short while ago there was a start to ice in the shallows but when we went to the transfer station on Saturday even that was gone or all broken up. My forecast is no Derby this year unless we get two weeks of sub zero weather. Even the brook that runs through the lot here is fairly free and the pond isn't safe to walk on. I'll put it this way you ain't going to walk to Frye to check your cottage.

I went over about 3 weeks ago in a 12' aluminum. I prefer to go by snowmobile but not this year.

imacman said:

Oh c'mon, snowing outside... Nice fire in the stove, what's more relaxing? :-D

You're right....ME sitting inside by the stove, watching YOU outside shoveling/plowing/snowblowing would be great! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.