A new Jotul Oslo install, some questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tinkerric

Jan 10, 2010
western MA
Hi,
I just swapped my Morso 1125 for an Oslo.
It was a shock at first how different the stoves were to run, but I'm getting the hang of the Oslo.
I haven't been able to get the stove over 450F.
My understanding is I should be running the stove between 400 and 600 F
I do think my wood could be drier, but I have been splitting it small and its mostly ash, birch and cherry.
With the Morso I had no problem burning really hot, though I had lots of air.
I'm going to see what happens with some really well seasoned wood.

But I think the problem might be with my chimney. The stove is vented straight up through a cathedral ceiling. The total height including the chimney is around 13', as follows
2' of single wall,
5' telescoping double wall,
6"to 8" increaser
2' single wall to ceiling pass through
~4' double wall air vented chimney system with a cap.
The Jotul manual recommends 15' minimum.
I don't have any smoke issues, the fires start fairly easily thought I crack the door to get things going.
When I redo my roof next summer I will replace the 8"chimney with 6".

For now I will try 1)removing the chimney cap,

2) Adding 2' of 8" to the chimney

3) running 6" inside the 8" ( know it sounds goofy, but I think it can be done safely)
Any thoughts?
Thanks Rich

Your chimney is suspect for sure.. Jotul says 15' MINIMUM, that means if all else were PERFECT your stove should run and draft well with 15' of 6" chimney. But you have only 7' of 6" chimney and most of it not insulated, way less then perfect.. so my guess is your drafting well enough to burn.. but not well. I think the idea of putting some 6" liner down that 8" and connecting it to your existing 6" is probably a great idea, and get the other 2 feet you need, or more while you do it.

Yes the chimney is a problem but you have the right idea. When you fix it go all double wall single wall is for those who have no draft troubles.

I was just about to post a question of the same nature. I am putting a stove (probably an Oslo) in an addition I am building with a cathedral ceiling. I installed the chimney today but I only have 8 feet of 6 inch chimney and will have between 6 and 7 feet of double wall stovepipe between the stove and chimney, all as straight as a gun barrel. I got to wondering if I should add another section of chimney pipe even though I am above where I need to be according to spec.
I'll probably wait and see how it burns, but I'll be interested in seeing what the consensus is. I'll probably move the Oslo I have in the main part of the house out there and put a bigger stove where the Oslo is now because it doesn't quite handle that section of the house, but that is probably a different topic.

I've got an Oslo in a similar setup. About 13' of 6" double chimney total straight up through a cathedral ceiling. Been running it all winter and it works great!

If the stove is double-wall connector pipe, straight up to the class A through the interior of the house, then the minimums might be flexible. But as soon as one throws single-wall pipe, elbows, rear-exit, exterior flues etc. into the equation, a successful outcome becomes more dependent on having more than the minimum flue height above the stove.

Its a straight shot up to the cathedral ceiling at 11' and then maybe 3 or 4' to the top of the chimney. I suspect the transition to 8" is weakening the draft.
I'm going to run 6" all the way and see how it works.

Maybe I just haven't been building big enough fires.
Is it possible to get the Oslo into the 500 to 600F range with a series of small hot fires?
Thanks Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.