A new week and another new Breckwell problem found on a customer's stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinsmanstoves

Minister of Fire
Customer that has a Breckwell P-2000 FS called and said he is getting a #2 flash and the stove shuts off after two minutes past the start up cycle. Went to the house and cleaned the 4" vent (basement install), negative pressure switch hose/outlet and the air chambers behind the fire pot/wall. Relight the stove and still shut down with a #2 flash.

Door and ashpan gaskets were in good shape so went into the pedestal and found the four bolts that hold the stove body to the stove were finger tight/loose. The gasket appeared good so I tightened the nuts (7/16 socket) and relight. The flame was not the greatest (lazy and limited control with the damper) but the stove stayed lit. I did not take a magnahelic reading but I should have. I will return in the spring and reseal the pedestal to stove body seal because I feel the 4 tiny nuts and attached bolts are not good enough to keep a seal.

This is something to check on all Breckwell stoves that have attached pedestals. Another issue to add to Breckwell's long list. Please, United States Stove Company, save future Breckwell units. USE THE FORCE!

Eric

Glad I didn't buy that brand spanking new $700 dollar Breckwell Big E at Big R's close out sale. I sure thought about it but passed.

Eric , all this Breckwell break down talks is scaring me. My Big E has had very limited problems , yes a new control board this year, but has operated flawless for the past 6 heating seasons. My friends Big E has also operated flawlessly for the past 7 heating seasons. So some do work well.

I know there are some out there that work great. I have sold some Breakwells and they do run great. It is just most of my repair calls are on Breckwell and Breckwell's dealer support is almost not there.

Breckwell= absolutely zero customer service... maybe a lil' if your a dealer.

I have 2004 model, and it out performs the neighboor's 2009 BIG E by leaps and bounds... what has happened to them?

… what has happened to them? My first thought is China? I have no verification, though.

Owned my Breckwell for 6yrs- 4 convection blowers, 2 combustion blowers, 2 burnpots, 2 auger motors. Maybe 6 ton a year.

There are some great units out there and then there are some garbage ones. The biggest problem I am seeing is air leaks that are causing incomplete combustion. This is caused by the steel warping and pulling away from the door, ash pan, or junction points in the stove.

As for customer service I am a dealer and get more support service from my distributor than I do through Breckwell. Breckwell will not answer their Tech Service line so you leave a message and someone might call you back the next day. Then what they tell you is that stove is out of warranty so they are done with it. I have sold other brands of stoves and other than a brand of Corn Stove (positive pressure) they are the worst on dealer and customer support.

At the last Dealer Seminar I attended Breckwell's Rep talked more about how he sweet talked a Waitress while eating dinner the night before than he did about working or the workings of their pellet stove. This was the forth factory training seminar I been to on Breckwell pellet stoves. Like I said, I hope United States Stove Company turns the brand around.

Eric

Eric,

If it's any consolation it isn't just Breckwell, just don't be disappointed when it continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.