A picture worth 1000 splits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cygnus

Feeling the Heat
Oct 23, 2010
Central, NJ
I've seen firewood companies that just create an enormous pile of splits. We all know how much seasoning happens just under the surface...almost none. The pile is easy for the seller but worthless to the knowledgeable burner. These guys know how to do it! Rumor has it, with a crane.

Attachments

• P1010109_small.jpg
    P1010109_small.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 1,398
  • P1010110_small.jpg
    P1010110_small.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 1,362
Nice Stacks !!!!!!!

Shawn

Wish that was my yard!

Looks unstable to me.

With a pile like that I could make it till at least March before I had to start cutting again.

I'd like to see a photo from the back, showing the stairway leading to the top, up which the homeowner climbs in the dead of winter to get a few more splits for the stove.

thats cool. But like Jay said looks unstable. wouldn't catch me walking next to that huge stacked pile!!!!!!

I'd climb on top and do a Tarzan yell with that much wood. That would pretty much get me to the day I drool in my soup at "The Home".

pascack road in Paramus - pass that on the way to my inlaws on the weekends. That Pile is HUGE!!!!!! took about 1.5 yrs or so to get the pile that big.

just wondering how many cords he has?

I just took a closer look. That stuff in the back stacks and the semi-piles is split toothpick size.

PA. Woodsman said:
smokinjay said:
Looks unstable to me.

So you're sayin' they won't catch you parking your car there like that little red one? YIKES lol...

Id be a little nervous if that was my car.

bonfire anyone ?

That photo was probably taken at Solar's place. Stacks look stable to me; a very nice job. However you would not catch me stacking like that.

Zap, take notice that he does have some end posts but most appears to be done without the posts. It can be done!

:lol: That might indeed be interesting to have a visit by your insurance agent. I wonder what they would do?

The agent can check in any time they like...it's visible from Google Earth!

Attachments

• Snap2.jpg
    Snap2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 415
cygnus said:

It was much smaller back then

ace.png

weatherguy said:
cygnus said:

It was much smaller back then

Quite a bit smaller then. I wonder what it would look like now?

LOL to the insurance agent visit, they would just take the policy and rip it up right in front of you. That is one hell of a liability there.

Shawn

With all of that room to work with I wonder why they chose to stack the wood right next to the driveway? They could've stacked it anywhere but there and not have to worry about any landslides....they either have great confidence in their stacking abilities or they don't like the guy and built a huge "fence" so they can avoid him! But it looks like that might be the business owner's house so I guess they are confident in their stacking abilities lol....

That would be an enormous amount of extra work to build stacks that high, not to mention un-stacking the wood when you need it. You can’t just start pulling splits from the bottom of the stack or else it really will become unstable.

:lol: Ya, that would certainly be a not too smart thing to do; pulling wood from the bottom of a stack of wood.

Carbon, do you have enough wood for this coming winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.