A Question About Resistor Spark Plugs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanCorcoran

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2010
Richmond, VA
My Craftsman 42cc engine specifies a Champion RCJ-7Y spark plug. The "R" indicates that this is a CJ-7Y plug (quite common) with a built-in resistor.

I've looked at 5 or 6 places here in Richmond and can't find one (they sell for about $2 online, but I'm too cheap to pay $6-10 shipping on a $2 plug). Does anyone know why a chainsaw would require a resistor spark plug? I've read that they reduce radio frequency interference with other electronics, but that doesn't make any sense in a chainsaw (there are no other electronic components, and it's unlikely you'd have a lot of radios playing in the vicinity of your chainsaw).

Does anyone know (I've Googled quite a bit and been unable to find a answer relating to chainsaws).

Some electronic ignitions systems , require a resistor plug to run properly. I remember reading something about it on "Spark plugs 411".

Yes, I read the article on Spark Plugs 411, but apparently it doesn't apply to chainsaws. So, no one knows why a chainsaw would be spec'd with a resistive plug?

I was advised by my marine dealer that Canada law requires resistor plugs. The chainsaw may be spec'd for resistor plugs because it also is sold in Canada.

DanCorcoran said:
My Craftsman 42cc engine specifies a Champion RCJ-7Y spark plug. The "R" indicates that this is a CJ-7Y plug (quite common) with a built-in resistor.

I've looked at 5 or 6 places here in Richmond and can't find one (they sell for about $2 online, but I'm too cheap to pay $6-10 shipping on a $2 plug). Does anyone know why a chainsaw would require a resistor spark plug? I've read that they reduce radio frequency interference with other electronics, but that doesn't make any sense in a chainsaw (there are no other electronic components, and it's unlikely you'd have a lot of radios playing in the vicinity of your chainsaw).

Does anyone know (I've Googled quite a bit and been unable to find a answer relating to chainsaws).

Dan I installed an e3 plug that I bought at HD in my snowblower and it seems to start much easier.. They are lifetime warranteed and cost a little more.. Here is a link to their site:

http://www.e3sparkplugs.com/

Ray

it is so the chainsaw does not cause static on the boom box out in the woods while youre cutting
nothing more annoying than static on a radio station

Thanks, Ironpony, that's what I thought, too. (I figured it might also cause interference with my Pacemaker and my battery-powered bagel toaster that I keep with me in the woods).

Raybonz, you told me what I really needed to hear, though. I've seen those E3s at both Lowe's and HD, but didn't know whether to believe the hype on the package (since they cost about double, I figured it might be snake oil). I'll get one and try it out...thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.