A Simple PEX Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

McKraut

Feeling the Heat
Sep 1, 2011
South Central PA
I might be missing something very obvious, but I've got to ask this question. What happens if your water temperature exceeds 200 degrees when it's running through PEX? With my Tarm, if it hits 200 degrees, it starts running into the dump zone. My concern is if I am running PEX (instead of black pipe and copper like I have now) there is the possibility that I might hit or exceed the 200 degree maximum and it would run through PEX.
As always, I appreciate your help.

Sorry that you did not get an answer Bob, so I will give it a go.

You should have no problem with O2 Barrier Pex or Pex/Aluminum/Pex (PAP) at & above those temps, each brand of pipe will have a chart relative to temp & pressure for it's safe operating/max operating range.

IIRC your Tarm will be in the 30 psi range so use that & the temp of 200 to see if the pex you are considering will tolerate that stress.

Cant see any reason it won't but checking first is easy & free.

I was feeling kinda lonely after nobody responded. My assumption with the pressure and temperature was that it wouldn't be a problem, but it never hurts to ask. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Your welcome Bob.

Don't forget to check your choice/options of pex to be sure they will operate in your system for many years. Not all pex is created equal.

Status
Not open for further replies.