A story for the deer hunters on here, if you don't like hunting then please don't view

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
Last weekend was Ohio's muzzle loader season and Monday turned out to be a hunt my buddy and I will never forget. We hunted all morning and only saw five deer with no shots. On the last drive I set up next to a marsh by a beaver dam. On a drive during gun season the deer tore past my buddy in this spot.

About 20 minutes into the push I hear the unmistakable sounds of deer trotting through the woods. A few seconds later here they come straight at me until they turned and headed for the beaver dam. I gave a quick bleat and one of the big does stops at 25 yards and looks around. Well, that resulted in a 295gr Powerbelt through the ribs. (Yes, before I pulled the trigger I thought about shooting one of the does further back)

She spins and begins to go back where she came from but then decided that she really wanted to die running across the dam. She gets about 50 yards out and slips off the dam onto the "dry" side. BUT she decided that she really wanted to get one last bath before going home with me and climbed over the dam to start swimming. She made it about 15 feet out before dying in about 6' of water.

Of course the story doesn't end there because she got hung up on some shrubs in the water. I was figuring on going for a swim but my buddy kept telling me to just wait. I called the owner to see if he had a boat, nope. We drove around and looked for a boat to borrow, nope. We searched the farm for anything we could find but nothing. We tried with a 20' tow strap but it would simply slip off her. The property owner called the wildlife officer to see if they had a boat, nope in the shop. Finally my friend rigged up the tow strap and some rope to a length that I could get it around the deer and pull her free. You really had to see it to believe it.

The Wildlife Officer came out to help but we had her free just as he got there. I told him we had her but he said that he just had to see this. Big doe too, Wildlife Officer aged her at least 2.5 but he didn't cut her jaw to see further so she could be 3.5.

Great times with a great friend and another doe in the freezer. The only sad part is my daughter wasn't with me and she would have drilled this deer.

fv

Bravo! We had a deer die in Ohio Brush Creek a few years ago. We finally had success slipping a lasso over a long ash sapling (2 men to haul it). and floated the narrow end out to the deer. The catfish ate well that night.

I was hunting over in Adam's County last weekend myself. No shots, I saw a very nice buck laying out about 150 yards behind a bunch of briars... He left at 10 AM or so. I'll be a little closer to the thicket next year ; )

My 19YO daughter came out for the first time this year and she's excited to try again next year.

ATB,
Mike P

Thanks! This was in Jackson Co.

fv

Sounds like a real adventure!

None of my friends are into hunting, but I've always wanted to get into it. Up here where i live, between Columbus and Marion, I look around and see deer everywhere. Lots of farmland and just enough trees. I'm thinking about buying a bow this summer to start practicing.

As it stands right now, if i shot a deer, I'd have no idea what to do next!

-SF

great story with a great ending.....my deer season wasn't so good yet. Tomorrow is the last day of the muzzleloader season and all I've taken out of the woods so far has been TICKS.......lol....

Some say it's about the hunt and not the kill. I say it takes both to draw up that incredible primal feeling which everyone
should be privy to at least once in their life. Nowadays people want to rescue a cat. There's not much to appreciate there.
Kenny

kenny chaos said:
Some say it's about the hunt and not the kill. I say it takes both to draw up that incredible primal feeling which everyone
should be privy to at least once in their life. Nowadays people want to rescue a cat. There's not much to appreciate there.
Kenny
well said Kenny....I agree!

Thanks guys, yeah it's one we won't forget anytime soon. I'm known in our deer hunting group as the guy who shoots them at the bottom of the hollow and we have to drag them up. This year, I shot my first doe at the top of the hollow but then we decided to drag her to the bottom because it was easier. My buddy's comment to me when I shot this one was that I always make it difficult. I told him that I hit a new low, this one died below sea level.

slyferret, once you see how to gut one it's pretty easy and there are plenty of youtube videos on how to. Also, try looking for a Whitetails Unlimited Chapter near you and attend a banquet. The hardest part is finding property to hunt. I am very good friends with this property owner, he said he considers me family. Unfortunately I think he is selling the farm which means I need to find somewhere else to take my daughter.

fv

fireview2788 said:
Thanks guys, yeah it's one we won't forget anytime soon. I'm known in our deer hunting group as the guy who shoots them at the bottom of the hollow and we have to drag them up. This year, I shot my first doe at the top of the hollow but then we decided to drag her to the bottom because it was easier. My buddy's comment to me when I shot this one was that I always make it difficult. I told him that I hit a new low, this one died below sea level.

slyferret, once you see how to gut one it's pretty easy and there are plenty of youtube videos on how to. Also, try looking for a Whitetails Unlimited Chapter near you and attend a banquet. The hardest part is finding property to hunt. I am very good friends with this property owner, he said he considers me family. Unfortunately I think he is selling the farm which means I need to find somewhere else to take my daughter.

fv

A couple years ago my buddy called me and said "you aren't going to believe this deer i just shot, come on over and check it out". Turned out to be a con to help him drag the a big doe out of the steepest ravine i ever saw. We were both completely gassed by the time we got her to the top. I'm still mad at him about that.

Cool story for sure fire :) Nice to hear about an officer helping a hunter out and not the other way around..

loon

Great story....I was out on Saturday of muzzleloader and had 1 small doe under my stand at dark. She just wasn't worth taking....we"ll let her grow up a bit.

I'm happy you didn't have to go for a January swim. That could have been dangerous.

I didn't have any doe tags so I went without one this year. I was 30 feet from a real nice doe though. There is always next year.

Matt

I've had nothing but great contact with our ODNR officers. I know a few of them personally and they are great people. He never asked to see my license even when I asked if he wanted to see it. The best part was when I looked at him and told him I wasn't going to put the tag on it until I got it out of the marsh and he replied "No, get it out of here first." In Ohio the law states that you have to tag it where it fell and I wasn't going to tag it there. We joked back and forth a lot.

Limestone, that's why I always have a doe tag. In Ohio it's easier than PA but I make sure I have a cheap one ($15) and an either sex tag during gun season.

fv

Status
Not open for further replies.