A "suburban Quads"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
Can't beat the photos Quad's posts, but here's my version.

may_wood.jpg

Working on splitting hickory (split and on the ground), "Unknown Species" of wood on the trailer, hard maple on the left, oak behind it, birch in the center with apple behind it and soft maple on the right.

hickory_pallets.jpg

Got more wood = need more pallets!

Shari

That's awesome! You have a nice setup there, especially for being in the suburbs. You even have wheel weights on your tractor!

Years ago I had an old 'pickup box' trailer something like that, but mine didn't have the nice shiny jack on it.

quads said:
That's awesome! You have a nice setup there, especially for being in the suburbs. You even have wheel weights on your tractor!

Years ago I had an old 'pickup box' trailer something like that, but mine didn't have the nice shiny jack on it.

Heh, heh, heh! The wheel weights were originally installed for traction when the snow plow attachment is in use. I guess I was just too lazy to take them off. Sometimes I pull our 4x6 trailer (the trailer with the pallets on right now) around full of wood and I think the weights add a little traction. The Craftsman has a hydrostatic tranny and that works out good. The poor mower deck bit the dust a couple of years ago (bought a used Simplicity rider for mowing now) but I'm kind of attached to the Craftsman - it's a workhorse, weighs more and has a car-type trailer hitch on the rear. Our Simplicity rider could no way pull what the Craftsman does.

Regarding my trailer: That is an 'original' Army trailer (retired now). It still as an Army i.d. tag on it. :) It even has a checker plate deck. The trailer's camo paint job blends in nicely with the camo tarps that go on the wood piles in winter. :)

Shari

Here's an example of what the Craftsman can pull around the yard (basically the same view as previous picture before wood was stacked up in that area. That is a Army 4x6 trailer filled with silver maple:

woodhauler.jpg

Shari

A friend of mine has a Craftsman like that, and it is a nice rider. He also has a rototiller attachment for it and tills gardens for people.

Oh, so it's an Army trailer! Looked like an old pickup box trailer. But now that you mentioned it, the sides are a little lower than a pickup box.

Yeah Shari, there is quite a difference between a garden tractor and a riding mower. Big difference. Here is my Simplicity (allis chalmers) pulling a small load, but this tractor will regularly pull my 5 x 10 FULL (at over 3000#).

Attachments

• 100_1539sm.jpg
    100_1539sm.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 668
Shari said:
Can't beat the photos Quad's posts, but here's my version.

may_wood.jpg

Working on splitting hickory (split and on the ground), "Unknown Species" of wood on the trailer, hard maple on the left, oak behind it, birch in the center with apple behind it and soft maple on the right.

hickory_pallets.jpg

Got more wood = need more pallets!

Shari

Awesome trailer!

Thanks for the comments on the trailer. I just bought it about 2 yrs. ago when I started burning wood. Our sons got married/moved out and took their pickup trucks with them so Mom (me) needed something to haul my 'stuff' with. Dang trailer has all original parts including the old style screw down hitch coupler. So far this year I have forgotten to tighten it down twice but luckily only got about 1 block away from home when I remembered. (sheesh!) The trailer was empty both times and I swear it 'talks' to me when something's not right. :) Last summer one trip didn't work out so well - trailer was empty, tongue wasn't tightened down, bounced off the hitch about 2 blocks from home, safety chains held it from becoming a pogo stick but I bent one of the "S" hooks on the original safety chain so I had to replace that this year. Other than the chains, it's all original but new lights and the helper wheel. I have saved the chains for sentimental value. :) I think I should add some side reflectors as I see them on the newer trailers but don't know if that is a requirement by law or not. I'd rather keep it 'original' if at all possible.

Shari

You are doing great Shari. Yes, I like the trailer too. Also, I wondered at first about the wheel weights but then figured you probably plowed a bit of snow with it.

On the side reflectors, yes, it is required. Probably something that not many would notice though including the local police. As long as you have some tail lights they would probably let you go. But it isn't difficult to put reflectors on.

Do you have a picture of the hitch set up on the tractor?

I can get a photo tomorrow and post it here.

Shari

bsa,

You asked for a photo of the hitch on the Craftsman - here it is:

craftsman_hitch2.jpg

There are two ways to use the hitch: a 1-7/8" ball or a drop pin. Basically it was crafted from a 9" drop hitch (turned upside down) and sandwiched with a drilled straight plate (used as the drop pin hitch area). There is also a threaded rod towards the top that ties the hitch into the body of the rider. There are actually two hitch areas: 1. The ball hitch is a little tall for my 4x6 road trailer but it works well and it was crafted from parts we had on hand. 2. Our black Craftsman yard trailer, the lawn roller, the grass sweeper and our log splitter use the drop pin hitch.

Shari

Doin' work, looks great!

Shari said:
bsa,

You asked for a photo of the hitch on the Craftsman - here it is:

craftsman_hitch2.jpg

There are two ways to use the hitch: a 1-7/8" ball or a drop pin. Basically it was crafted from a 9" drop hitch (turned upside down) and sandwiched with a drilled straight plate (used as the drop pin hitch area). There is also a threaded rod towards the top that ties the hitch into the body of the rider. There are actually two hitch areas: 1. The ball hitch is a little tall for my 4x6 road trailer but it works well and it was crafted from parts we had on hand. 2. Our black Craftsman yard trailer, the lawn roller, the grass sweeper and our log splitter use the drop pin hitch.

Shari

Thanks for the pic Shari! It gives me ideas on how to make a hitch for my tractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.