A tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hareball

Dec 11, 2009
Jersey shore/pines
This odd tree is growing in the yard behind me very close to a pine. Has a very short trunk then branches off in all directions. In the one pic you can see uite the bend in one section.

Attachments

• tree1.jpg
    tree1.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 597
  • tree2.jpg
    tree2.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 562
crabapple

I'm going to start the bidding. Cherry or some kind of pine.

I think I like some type of apple too, can you post pics of twigs? Cheers!

I'll try and get a better photo once the sun is in better position. Thats if the sun comes out today :(

Hmmm, thats interesting.

maybe some kind of cherry, but i dunno

maybe a crazy redbud

mimossa will grow like that, but the bark is different.

maybe hawthorn? nah, its probably too big for that.

silver maple can actually grow a little like an octopus sometimes, but i think it usually splits a little higher up.

right now, my best guess is a redbud.

I say Cherry. There are a couple that look just like that across the street from me.

Thanks guys! The neighbor asked me to cut that limb that's pushing down on his fence. I just need to talk to the guy that owns the tree, problem is they are not around much, they come like once a month and party and gone again.

Guess I am only one, but that sure looks like all the dogwood trees I have seen.

Have seen Cherry bark looks close to that, but *never* saw a Cherry with trunk and limbs like that

Hey if the limb's on his side of the fence cut it! Just keep it flush with the fence and your golden.

Oh and my guess is some sort of apple.

looks like a gnarly old cherry tree to me... good dense overnite burning wood. what do the leaves look like in the summer?

Finally got some leaf pics. There is another tree that popped up along the fence line and the 3rd pic is from that one.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 218
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 212
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 231
Sure looks like a weird growing cherry to me.

Definitely choke cherry, with that white cluster of flowers.

If they only come once a month to party, odds are they won't notice a limb missing. Just sayin.

Bark like a black cherry.

Leaves are cherry.

I think it is Black Cherry. Leaves and bark are both dead ringers for Black Cherry. No tree normally grows like that, but Black Cherry can grow in odd shapes with lots of low branches, so the shape doesn't seem to rule out Black Cherry.

Yep, cherry without a doubt. I've got a ton of em here, & they can grow in some weird shapes. Grow like weeds, season fast, & make good firewood. A C

Status
Not open for further replies.