A typical scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wood Duck

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2009
Central PA
Not far from where I live last weekend somebody cut down a couple of small spruce trees and stacked the brush along the side of the road for the township crew to chip and take away. I noticed a few larger pieces of the trunks stacked there too, so on a couple of my too frequent trips to town I stopped and loaded the trunk of the Camry. This what I got in two loads. It is Blue Spruce and really heavy right now, but it will be a lot lighter by the time I burn it in a couple of years. I am showing this mainly because I get most of my firewood from scrounges this large or smaller. In fact once I stacked this up I realized this is a pretty good find for me. More often I get 1/4 or 1/3 this much from one spot. It seem like when sombody has a really big tree they'll find a friend who wants the firewood, but with small amounts of wood, or with wood that might not even strike you as firewood, it gets stacked by the road. Anyway, I read lots of posts asking how to scrounge firewood; my advice is don't pass up a couple of rounds in a pile or brush. Over the year it adds up.

Attachments

• IMG_0254.jpg
    IMG_0254.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 378
Hey, nothing beats free heat. I've been telling my family about the soon to be wood stove, and how economical it can be, now they call me with easy wood scrounge locations. This disease is spreading fast. :sick:

I totally agree. Since the freak Oct snow storm there are MANY such scrounges around here. I seem to be coming home on a regular basis with some amount of wood. I often say to myself "well, that will be enough wood for a days worth of heat in a few years". Many times all it takes is stopping and throwing it in the truck - less than 5 min.

I do the same thing. If I see two or three rounds and try to estimate it in terms of cords (hey, look there is 0.004 cords of wood!) it hardly seems worth stopping the car. If I think about it in terms of stovefulls or day's of wood (hey, look, there is enough wood for a nice fire!) it seems a lot more worthwhile.

I love those easy ones and that not bad for the Camry. I always carry a tarp in the trunk of my Lincoln for loading up the back seat too.

Wood Duck said:
I do the same thing. If I see two or three rounds and try to estimate it in terms of cords (hey, look there is 0.004 cords of wood!) it hardly seems worth stopping the car. If I think about it in terms of stovefulls or day's of wood (hey, look, there is enough wood for a nice fire!) it seems a lot more worthwhile.

That's how I look at the smaller scrounges Wood Duck - I like to stop and pick up a quick bunch of rounds and think that I might get 2-3 days of heat! Cheers!

That there is a good prize. Would not have thought so much wood could fit into a Camry trunk (twice). Buzzing down the freeway a couple of days ago, I spotted a single split that must have fallen off someone's trailer. Wanted to slam on the brakes and go back for it. Bad idea....

Doesn't matter if you mostly scrouge or cut your own . . . every time I work in the woods I look at what I've processed and tend to think of it in terms of how many days of heat I have just created . . . and even on a slow day in the woods I figure I can get several days worth of wood done . . . and yes . . . it all adds up . . . a few hours here, a small pipe there . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.