A view from the doc.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
Aug 2, 2006
Northern IL
After looking at the thread with Quads water pics, I decided to post a crappy phone pic of the view from the end of my doc that I put in this weekend. It was a bright sunny day that the pic does not represent, but the idea is there.
This is a really crappy picture of up river on the Mighty Mississippi River. This is a backwater area, not the main channel. I will have to get my "real" camera over there and snap a few for you water dogs that like seeing that stuff.

Attachments

• fromdocsm.jpg
    fromdocsm.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 452
Nice! That's a whole lot of rowing for my little boat!

quads said:

What YOU need is a motor. They work really good at making the boat move. :coolsmile:

I was afraid, from the thread title, that you might be posting a pic from your colonoscopy. :shut: Rick

fossil said:
I was afraid, from the thread title, that you might be posting a pic from your colonoscopy. :shut: Rick

I wish - they have better cameras :)

Jags said:
quads said:

What YOU need is a motor. They work really good at making the boat move. :coolsmile:
I have one around somewhere, but I don't think it runs anymore. Motors are not allowed on most of the lakes/ponds that I fish, so my motor hasn't been looked at in a very long time. Rowing is good exercise for Mrs Quads err I mean me anyway.

Where on the mighty Mississippi? I spent a summer in Mt Carrol, Ill 20 years ago. We used to drive down to Savanah, Ill. on the river to buy cheap beer. Are you anywhere near there?

Jags said:
After looking at the thread with Quads water pics, I decided to post a crappy phone pic of the view from the end of my doc that I put in this weekend. It was a bright sunny day that the pic does not represent, but the idea is there.
This is a really crappy picture of up river on the Mighty Mississippi River. This is a backwater area, not the main channel. I will have to get my "real" camera over there and snap a few for you water dogs that like seeing that stuff.

Very pretty...reminds me of the backwaters of the Wisconsin River.

Flatbedford said:
Where on the mighty Mississippi? I spent a summer in Mt Carrol, Ill 20 years ago. We used to drive down to Savanah, Ill. on the river to buy cheap beer. Are you anywhere near there?

That area would be south of me. I am 27 river miles south of Dubuque, IA.

northwinds said:
Very pretty...reminds me of the backwaters of the Wisconsin River.

It actually has a lot of resemblance, but its a WHOLE lot bigger. Where I am the river and backwater is 2 miles wide from shore to shore.

Edit: Google Earth shows it at 1.6 miles.

I traveled all over that area on my days off. Iowa, Wisconsin, and Northwest Illinois. I really liked it out there. Quite a change of scenery for this North Easterner. I even went back in the winter just to see what it was like.

Flatbedford said:
I even went back in the winter just to see what it was like.

It turns into a winter wonder land with beauty beyond belief, but the roads in and out are something else.

I was there in January, '92. It was pretty mild. Not nearly as much snow as I expected. I was surprised to stumble across a ski area in South Western Wisconsin.
This was somewhere along the river in Iowa.

Attachments

• F250 in snow Iowa.jpg
    F250 in snow Iowa.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 290
Flatbedford said:
I was surprised to stumble across a ski area in South Western Wisconsin.
This was somewhere along the river in Iowa.

Are you sure you were in WI? I have one just 4 miles away (by road, and 1 mile by river), called Chestnut Mountain (in IL).

I just looked it up. That is the place! You will have to let me slide, it is darn close to the state line. Have you ever been to the Timber Lake Playhouse down in Mt. Carroll, Il? I worked there the summer of '91.

Flatbedford said:
I just looked it up. That is the place! You will have to let me slide, it is darn close to the state line. Have you ever been to the Timber Lake Playhouse down in Mt. Carroll, Il? I worked there the summer of '91.

Long ago my friend. I stay pretty local when I am over there. I love it for the water and serenity (and the beaches....whooohooo!). Fishing is a passion, I just don't get the water time that I would like to have.

Another crappy phone pic:

Attachments

• beach1.jpg
    beach1.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 146
Status
Not open for further replies.