A wild week of weather and its not over yet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
Last Saturday saw a dusting of snow, sunday saw a little more and it was cool/cold enough that the snow did not melt off.

The Big Whitfield handled the duty with ease keeping the 2400Ft shack here comfy.

Monday dawned with a little more snow and still the one stove was getting by. By Monday night it was a different story, brought the little Whit online and ran both stoves all night.

Tuesday morning saw the power fail, and what was to be only a 1-1/2 hour outage (power co statement) turned into an all day event.

Took both Whits and the quad to bring the temps back up to the cozy level within a couple hours.

By Weds the snow is melting off and we had torential rains though the day and much warmer.
Shut the little whit off and all was well.

Thursday brought severe valley flooding and more warm temps.

By Thursday evening the house was at 73f with one stove, and by Friday morning it was at near 80F in the house.

Shut the large whit down at 6am and around 8 cleaned the little Whit good and brought it on line set on low.

The little whit has been chugging along now and keeping the house around 69-70F .

Weather folks say possible Snow again tomorrow, so by tonight I will likely swap the duties back to the large Whit and see what happens.

I do love the ability to swap the heat source between stoves, with a large one and a little one.

Having the Quad as a fall back just in case it really gets cold or to help in the case of a power failure and having to bring the temps back from the "frigid Zone" (50F in here after the outage) is a real plus for sure.

Can't have too many stoves ya know.

Well its Saturday morning and its wet outside with more rain forcast for the weekend and into next week.

Just really happy to have plenty of shells in the basement, as it looks like the remainder of this winter is going to be Wild, wet and windy.

Hope all the little Pellet piggy's have plenty of fuel and good luck with their stoves.

Keep warm

Snowy

Winter in Pa has been little to non existent. Some snow today with a cold night but mid 40's by Monday. Guess good cleaning days next week!

Pelletfisky said:
Winter in Pa has been little to non existent. Some snow today with a cold night but mid 40's by Monday. Guess good cleaning days next week!

Exactly what I was thinking.

Slurp, Slurp, Burp, Oink!!

Of course the pigs have plenty of pellets, now stocking up spare parts.

Stay warm Snowy.

10-4 on the spare parts.

This summer I intend to put in some extra parts for both the whits.

The Big one is also going to get a new fireback this next season.

Gave the big one a full cleaning before breakfast, and fired it off for a quick test burn.

Ready set go now.

Parts are a good thing, especially when its cold and dark outside.

Snowy

Well one has to start somewhere on the backup plans, we do fuel (three kinds), back up electrical (the pellet eater and hot water system needs it), then food (unending rotating stocking), then we add to the spare parts collection.

Need some bearings to rework the recent combustion blower motor situation, already have a backup convection blower, I just got some high temperature silicone rubber sheet gasket which just might stop the need for a new combustion blower gasket, and two replacement igniters. I also plan on getting an auger motor (looking for a high efficiency one, the last two blowers cut down on the electrical requirements) and a new control board.

I'm looking at a slight change in the burn pot as well.

So far the winter here hasn't been that bad, but then I've seen it be fairly easy until February and then all hades break out.

Snowy... you've been busy!

Plenty of fuel as the season has been rather warm, Stove's running dandy and the house is toasty! More white stuff again today. My back is hating the though of another last season again. I think I'm out of ben-gay again!

Stay warm snowy.

Status
Not open for further replies.