a wood pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Stick

Feeling the Heat
Oct 26, 2011
Capital Region, NY
here is the beginning of a scrounged wood pile. Trying to upload photos and this is a test.

Attachments

• PB060042.jpg
    PB060042.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 606
Good pic. Sure do enjoy photo's of wood fuel stacks... Not meaning to hijack the thread, but does anyone else ever find themselves standing around the C/S/S piles just appreciating the look of 'em and thinking about the work it took and the heat it will make? I need help....

Picture came through just fine and looks good too. I appreciate every photo on hearth.com, and the work everyone puts into heating their homes each year. It is a feeling of self suffiency.

Gark said:
Good pic. Sure do enjoy photo's of wood fuel stacks... Not meaning to hijack the thread, but does anyone else ever find themselves standing around the C/S/S piles just appreciating the look of 'em and thinking about the work it took and the heat it will make? I need help....

I know exactly what you mean! I find myself doing this a lot (just looking at the wood pile) in the summer, when I don't have to split it or bring it to the house, and I can just stand there and watch it drying! When you really need help is when you start looking at some other guy's wood.

Boom Stick said:
here is the beginning of a scrounged wood pile. Trying to upload photos and this is a test.

How would you say wind will blow through that style of stacking when it reaches 4-5' tall? Best best would be to separate your pallets and only stack two rows next to each other; next row should be around 2' away - therefore wind can get through both stacks.

Gark,

I know what you mean. Yes I do that as well. And yes, you do need help. :)

Boomstick, good pic.

Shari said:
Boom Stick said:

How would you say wind will blow through that style of stacking when it reaches 4-5' tall? Best best would be to separate your pallets and only stack two rows next to each other; next row should be around 2' away - therefore wind can get through both stacks.

I put 4 pallets on blocks in one large square thinking I was going to build a holz hausen on top of it. After an hour I didn't like the look of the stack so I made it square. It is 6 feet tall now. I call it the beast. I have to take some more pics now that I know how to resize them and put them up. I was thinking about the wind getting to it but continued on anyway. I may move it but who knows. I might leave it for two years and then I am sure it will be better than good considering the entire stack is off the ground. I have enough wood to burn next season without touching that pile so we'll see. I still haven't abandoned my dream of a holz hausen but some of my splits were big and was looking sloppy.

Attachments

• holz.jpg
    holz.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 461
Those holz hausen things look neat.
I put landscape cloth under the pallets,
I do like shari, 2 rows on a bunch of lined up pallets with about 12" between the rows, space between rows is important for air

Getting some serious BTUs, gathered up.
Good scrounging
Keep it coming :)

Gark said:

I do it every day, I walk through my wood area and fidget around, think of what I can do next, its a sickness alright.

I've looked at wood piles for well over 60 years now and still enjoy it.

weatherguy said:
Gark said:

I do it every day, I walk through my wood area and fidget around, think of what I can do next, its a sickness alright.

Me too!!! Woodland is my favorite place!

Gark said:
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but does anyone else ever find themselves standing around the C/S/S piles just appreciating the look of 'em and thinking about the work it took and the heat it will make? I need help....

I, for one, am shocked and appalled at the mere suggestion of such a thing!

(and yes, you did hijack the thread! ;-) )

Shari said:
Boom Stick said:

+1 - I stack on pallets and leave enough room between pallets and rows of pallet that I can walk through the stacks - definitely want air moving through the rows of pallets. Made that mistake with about 12 pallets of red oak 3 years ago. Center just wasn't drying, so had to restack this summer. I hope it's ready for next year! If not, plenty of other dry wood to use.

Also, +1 on the appreciation of the woodstacks. The first thing I do when I get home from work is crack a Molson Canadian and sit by that stacks for 20 min to unwind. I'll poke and prod - grad splits from the stacks and see how they are seasoning, etc. - we are definitely an odd bunch! Cheers!

Gark said:

Often . . . often . . . I cannot tell you how often I walk by the wood in my woodshed and just stare at that wood.

And what is truly scary is when you can remember the individual pieces . . . when you can pick up a piece and think back and remember the tree that it came from . . . and yet at the same time you cannot remember your own father's birthday or that you were supposed to empty the cat box last night.

+1 to getting some space between the stacks . . . it will help in drying.

Nice neat stack you've got going there.
I stack 3 rows deep and 4-5 feet high and about 30' long on pallets. Ash and Black locust will season in one year that way. Now that I am ahead all my wood should get three years now. I don't have enough room on my 1/4 acre to leave space between rows.

Status
Not open for further replies.