About firewood dealers, I have this question...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

My Oslo heats my home

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2010
South Shore, MA
Oak is a fairly plentiful fuel type here in Mass. We all know its density generally forces us to dry this wood for at least 2 years before burning. My question is why do the suppliers who sell "mixed" hardwood in their loads send less than 2 yr old oak when they know its usually not ready. I can understand the beech, ash and maple being close to ready and we know when the material is split it usually is mixed into a large pile.

Does anyone ever ask for non oak loads? I personally get grapple loads and last year I asked my guy about getting less oak, he said no because he had such an abundance of it. Anyone else?

The same reason many dealers sel what they call seasoned wood, that isn't. If the general, and sometimes ignorant, public will buy it, they sell it. If people would demand that it was truely seasoned, the market forces would adjust and you could actually buy seasoned wood. With the market the way it is now, and the knowledge of the general public what it is, they are delivering what is being demanded/accepted.

Shawn

i also think dealers will not separate types of wood when working on fire wood as it would only add to the cost ie this pile is oak, this pile is ash, this pile is hickory etc etc - i think most dealers get logs and work that wood and the good dealers hold the wood for a year or two and sell it as

as for grapple loads - when i ask my guy for a load i always ask for a couple logs of pine but i think he drops his load after he is done for day as my home is about a mile from his shop. so i guess its luck of the draw for what he was cutting that day

Generally speaking, I'm usually interested in knowing that the wood being delivered is all "hardwood" in the load. Other than that, I don't think it reasonable to ask my local provider to sort his load. I believe it would raise the price and put an unnecessary burden on the supplier.

Having a trusting relationship with my supplier of wood, is something that is earned by evidence. I have, in the past, turned away wood, and not ordered wood from that particular supplier in the future, in at least one case where the wood brought was not to my liking.

-Soupy1957

My Oslo heats my home said:
Oak is a fairly plentiful fuel type here in Mass. We all know its density generally forces us to dry this wood for at least 2 years before burning. My question is why do the suppliers who sell "mixed" hardwood in their loads send less than 2 yr old oak when they know its usually not ready. I can understand the beech, ash and maple being close to ready and we know when the material is split it usually is mixed into a large pile.

Does anyone ever ask for non oak loads? I personally get grapple loads and last year I asked my guy about getting less oak, he said no because he had such an abundance of it. Anyone else?

Yes I ask for and get less oak because of the seasoning time.. Most of what I got was ash, maple, locust and a little oak.. He told me nobody wants locust and I know the reason, because you can't start fires with it.. Locust needs a bed of coals to burn so I got quite a bit of locust.. He actually saves it for me because he knows I like it.. I prefer oak over ash when it's dry and find ash leaves a very fine ash when burned and tends to be messy unlike oak and oak burns longer.. They are both good firewoods and I will burn them anyday.. Hard to beat ash for quick drying time and btu's provided.. Locust dries fast too and it's great for long hot fires..

Ray

I don't think it's realistic to expect firewood suppliers to sort their firewood by species. This is a side business for most of these guys. I know its hard to buy seasoned wood of any species, but I am a firm believer that if you depend on a dealer for firewood than the responsibility of having good wood to burn is ultimately the buyers. We all know that seasoned to one burner is green to another. So if you have to buy wood, buy it in April, not September, or better yet buy it a year in advance. Expecting a firewood dealer to have split wood sitting around for a year before he sells it is like wishing for world peace, it would be nice but it isn't going to happen.

I think it is mostly ignorance by both seller and buyer. Trace it down and most of the ideas come from Grandpa and, sadly, the media. It used to be extremely common that folks would put up wood in the fall and sometimes during the winter months and it would be burned right away. Well, people get the idea that folks always did it that way and of course those people of old cannot be wrong, can they? This baloney gets told from generation to generation.

Another thing I've noticed. I delivered some white ash last year and the guy was so happy. "You can burn that stuff green," says he. Seems he had been talking to other folks he worked with and this was what everyone there thought. Naturally I informed him that this ash was not green nor would I sell any that was green. I also explained it a little more in depth. I know not if it sunk in or not but this attitude is common. It is difficult to straighten out too simply because people do talk and the majority of the folks just do not know any better so that is what they believe.

Firewood dealers sell hat they have. They are good at cutting, splitting and sometimes delivering ontime but, know very little about moisture content or drying times for diffrent types of wood.

mtarbert said:
Firewood dealers sell hat they have. They are good at cutting, splitting and sometimes delivering ontime but, know very little about moisture content or drying times for diffrent types of wood.

I think you mean "care very little"!

The guy I get c/s/d stuff from has maybe 2-3 acres (that I can see) filled with either logs or stacks of wood in various stages. Not sure how he deals with the logistics of all that, but the last time I got wood from him (summer 2008), it was not dry. Actually, it was wet. All oak.
I learned VERY quickly that if I wanted dry wood, I would have to either get it in advance from him, or do it myself. I chose the latter. Much cheaper to process myself, but until you can get ahead, it starts to wear on you.
My log load guy asks if I want all oak, mixed hardwood, or pine/softwood. My response has been.....Oak please. The first 3 years kinda' sucked, but the last 2 were much better. I have enough room to store pretty much whatever, but I know lots of us don't.
An awful lot of folks around here get log loads, usually in the late summer/early fall....c/s/s, then burn away. The same winter. Goofy.

egclassic said:
mtarbert said:

I agree with the "know very little" one supplier I use is a landscaper, one is a mason, and one is a farmer. Quite frankly talking to all of them the are really honestly clueless. All they know is you cut a tree, split it, throw it in a pile and when someone calls for a delivery they jump in the backhoe, load up the dump truck and boom - you got a load in your driveway. I'm planing on creating a post tonight on my latest delivery. When he delivered the wood he said he don't split it until before he delivers it because people like the fresh color.

n3pro said:
egclassic said:
mtarbert said:

I agree with the "know very little" one supplier I use is a landscaper, one is a mason, and one is a farmer. Quite frankly talking to all of them the are really honestly clueless. All they know is you cut a tree, split it, throw it in a pile and when someone calls for a delivery they jump in the backhoe, load up the dump truck and boom - you got a load in your driveway. I'm planing on creating a post tonight on my latest delivery. When he delivered the wood he said he don't split it until before he delivers it because people like the fresh color.

That's pretty funny but I believe it. Can't you hear it? "This wood looks old" like it's lettuce or fish. Jeez

jatoxico said:
n3pro said:
egclassic said:
mtarbert said:

That's pretty funny but I believe it. Can't you hear it? "This wood looks old" like it's lettuce or fish. Jeez

Doesn't everyone want "fresh" firewood? That gray stuff is so unsightly! :) It reminds me of The Jerk when Navin Johnson said "I don't want that old wine! Bring me some fresh wine with the screw cap or in a box" LOL

Ray

I wouldn't go as far as to say ALL firewood dealers are crooked. I sell about 200 cords a year and will not sell oak to most customers, I set it aside and save it for the OWB guys that want green wood for their boilers. The only way I will sell oak to a customer is if I have ran it through my kiln and checked to make sure the MC is less than 20. As far as customers wanting specific wood, I have two customers that want only hard maple and I supply it to them at no extra cost. I have to move all the logs that get delivered anyway, so the butts all face one way to go on the processor, so it is just as easy to set the maple logs aside and process them seperatly. The problem I see is that most firewood suppliers, process their wood right into a truck or trailer and deliver it. So in reality you have an employee processing the product who's main interest is in collecting a paycheck every week and really doesn't care about quality control. You get the punky logs, ant infested logs and the small butts, all for a premium price. I handle every piece of wood ONCE, as I unload it from a trailer into boxes I have made up to store 1 F/C (1/3 of a cord). You also have some dealers (which I have talked too) that leave the logs set for 2 years, then process it and sell it as seasoned firewood.

JJWOODCUTTER said:
I wouldn't go as far as to say ALL firewood dealers are crooked. I sell about 200 cords a year and will not sell oak to most customers, I set it aside and save it for the OWB guys that want green wood for their boilers. The only way I will sell oak to a customer is if I have ran it through my kiln and checked to make sure the MC is less than 20. As far as customers wanting specific wood, I have two customers that want only hard maple and I supply it to them at no extra cost. I have to move all the logs that get delivered anyway, so the butts all face one way to go on the processor, so it is just as easy to set the maple logs aside and process them seperatly. The problem I see is that most firewood suppliers, process their wood right into a truck or trailer and deliver it. So in reality you have an employee processing the product who's main interest is in collecting a paycheck every week and really doesn't care about quality control. You get the punky logs, ant infested logs and the small butts, all for a premium price. I handle every piece of wood ONCE, as I unload it from a trailer into boxes I have made up to store 1 F/C (1/3 of a cord). You also have some dealers (which I have talked too) that leave the logs set for 2 years, then process it and sell it as seasoned firewood.

If you ever move to Mass. you'll get my business with what you just stated! I for one am impressed! Keep up the good work..

Ray

JJWOODCUTTER said:
+10...wish you were here in mass.....you are one of the few!!

The guy that I buy wood from, not very often thou. He sells firewood...that's it. All I am
paying him for is getting it c/s/s and the rest is up to me. He gets oak 95% of the time
and I just leave it until its dry...not too long in the oven I live in. Just gotta try to keep
ahead of the game.

Awesome responses to say the least. When I was thinking on how to write this post originally I thought as the educated burner not the 'general' wood consumer. As some of you said, most people are ignorant to the fact of what seasoned wood is when they get a delivery, assuming it is dry and ready to burn. That is why I rang in and picked on the oak in particular, most of the regular forum folks here know that when a delivery comes to them what the first things they check will be.
I have had loads that are short on quantity, far less seasoned than adverstised and a couple looking for the quick hit and run. Cash only, cell phones and no business names on the truck. All suspect in the business of firewood to folks who know better.
I'm not one of the guys that has a regular dealer/supplier, I'm always looking to save another dollar anywhere I can. Free wood, grapple loads in winter and sometimes the 'looks to good to be true' CL ads. Nothing like pissing a driver off when you have it out with them in your driveway about what they are trying to deliver and telling them not to dump, thank you very much! I suppose it's all part of the game.

I think I'll stick to the grapple loads, I appreciate doing the work myself and knowing it is the way I want it to be when it's done.

I know exactly what you're talking about.
I had some rounds delivered too.
I paid for two cords. Turned out to be 1.3 cords.
It was nice wood, other than the fact it was infested with carpenter ants.
Not uniform in width either.
When I compare this stack with the stack from the grapple load I cut up and split, the grapple load looks much nicer and uniform.

jatoxico said:
n3pro said:
egclassic said:
mtarbert said:

The funny thing is, he probably has had people say that they want fresh wood, or had people hassle him because they didn't like the grey/old look of wood that has been sitting around for a while. My neighbor, actually made a comment to me about how his guy always gets him "good fresh oak". To which I simply told him to be sure to have his chimney cleaned , he only burns maybe a cord a year so I am not going to preach to him about firewood.

JJWOODCUTTER said:

I do not think the question was about being crooked as much as wood suppliers giving dry wood rather than green wood. I do know a couple firewood dealers who are crooked but think they are in the minority. However, I'd say the percentage of dealers who supply good wood ready to burn is in the very, very low percentage.

JJ, you are to be complimented on your business. This country needs more like you.

I do have one nit to pick though. These guys with OWB who want green wood! It seems to me that there are many who think they should burn green wood because the sellers of OWB say they can burn green wood. I know of several folks who have them and some burn green wood and others still let the wood dry before burning. It is not secret who gets the best results. Also, these things have a forced draft so they use electric. Burning green wood it seems as if more draft would be required so also that would use more electric.

I'm not one of the guys that has a regular dealer/supplier, I'm always looking to save another dollar anywhere I can. .

ya know i think that may be part of the problem - if you have a regular supplier you might have less issues -

i too enjoy saving a buck or two when i can, however nothing beats loyalty when it comes to business. i know i can stop by my log guy's shop and he'll be there next day with a grapple and then he knows i'll be at the shop the next morning with cash

That's pretty good service; I'm 12th in line.
A co-worker used the same guy and had good luck.
He actually answered his phone.

Stevebass4 said:
I'm not one of the guys that has a regular dealer/supplier, I'm always looking to save another dollar anywhere I can. .

ya know i think that may be part of the problem - if you have a regular supplier you might have less issues -

i too enjoy saving a buck or two when i can, however nothing beats loyalty when it comes to business. i know i can stop by my log guy's shop and he'll be there next day with a grapple and then he knows i'll be at the shop the next morning with cash

Hi Steve, I totally agree with you 100%. And because I have become that 'person' over the years I have pretty much decided to do things myself and forgo the dealer who does all the work and delivers the final product. Work is slow for me in early March, that is when I have a grapple load delivered (or a month before, depending on prices). So for 2 weeks I will buck, split and stack 8 cords of wood and be ready for 2-3+ years ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.