About how long will a stove last?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

save$

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2008
Chelsea Maine
If a pellet stove is cleaned or a regular basis, what is the average number of years an owner can anticipate to have good performance before laying out a lot of money for repairs. What brands of stoves have a history of holding up for the longest time. Are stove replaced more often because they wear out, no longer have parts available, or just become too outdated by better performing models? I am referring to stoves owed by an average stove owner and cared for the way an average owner does. Average meaning most common.

There are still stoves in use that were built in the late 80's and going strong. Its all in how you care for it. Several members here are burning early 90's stoves. Some of the newer stuff isn't built as rugged as the older stoves. You shoukd still see many years from them. But like a car, And all its mileage will you still trust it? Plus some of the older stuff wasn't as efficient as the newer stuff. Pretty much every thing you listed has something to do with when a stove is retired. But the biggest might be the owner finding a new toy and just has to have it.

I would hope to get 10 years from my Omega. Unless I sell and opt for the furnace which should heat my home more evenly.

save$ said:
If a pellet stove is cleaned or a regular basis, what is the average number of years an owner can anticipate to have good performance before laying out a lot of money for repairs. What brands of stoves have a history of holding up for the longest time. Are stove replaced more often because they wear out, no longer have parts available, or just become too outdated by better performing models? I am referring to stoves owed by an average stove owner and cared for the way an average owner does. Average meaning most common.

Are YOU an average stove owner?????????
Do YOU clean and maintain YOUR stove????????????
Do YOU just turn on the oil heat, and say "I'll fix the stove this weekend"?
Do YOU dump pellets in it and call the dealer when it just won't work anymore????
As far as your question goes, "It all depends".

Going out tomorrow to look at a "cabinet" stove, I think it's a Traeger, but not sure... Could be the earliest stove I've seen in a few years. Let you know later.

I am burning a 1994 Austroflamm. This stove hasn't missed a beat in the years i have owed it. Probally has close to or over 70 ton through. I had to replace the auger motor last year it started getting noisey.

Flammam said:
I am burning a 1994 Austroflamm. This stove hasn't missed a beat in the years i have owed it. Probally has close to or over 70 ton through. I had to replace the auger motor last year it started getting noisey.

Where is that Austroflamm made? Sounds like you have a really good unit!!

AR

hossthehermit said:
save$ said:

Do YOU dump pellets in it and call the dealer when it just won't work anymore????
I'm thinking that there are those who are aware of proven performers. In various threads there have been mention of of stoves that have come out with poor designs and incidents of failure. i.e. auger, blower, etc. With so many stoves available, and with the number of forum participants, I was looking to see if those traits are isolated or common to a stove. About every week we see a new member posting in this forum while trying to make up their mind which way to invest. I bet I went to a dozen stove shops before I took the leap into my purchase. In each visit, I would get advise on why I should buy this or that product and avoid the one the competition was selling. While you will still see some of that in this forum, most will give an objective overview. My experience is limited to knowing about a dozen others who own pellet stove. Am I average? When it comes to cleaning, I think not. I go at it a lot more than others who I know, but then, I have a lot more time on my hands. I also have been following this forum for 3 years. I don't know a thing about control boards, but I'm betting I have a good idea about what to expect from my stove. I've yet to experience a problem that was a stove failure. In my case, it was because I was on that knowledge curve learning what to do and what not to do. I.e. from Krooser, Keep it clean! from Jay, know your stove and try different pellets to see what works best for you. From Smokey, do a safe install and follow the stove's manual. Use OAK. From Kingsman, Dry pellets! and Imacan, keep your kool! Those are a few of the contributors to my learning curve and given me more than a few laughs along the way.
So yes, I agree, it does all depend!

ARGlock said:
Flammam said:

Where is that Austroflamm made? Sounds like you have a really good unit!!

AR

It's a European stove... Austrian I believe.

I've got a 20 year old Martin that still run's great!I've only had it 2 years,but had been in use constant since new.things built like a tank.

save$ said:
hossthehermit said:
save$ said:

I'm thinking that there are those who are aware of proven performers. In various threads there have been mention of of stoves that have come out with poor designs and incidents of failure. i.e. auger, blower, etc. With so many stoves available, and with the number of forum participants, I was looking to see if those traits are isolated or common to a stove. About every week we see a new member posting in this forum while trying to make up their mind which way to invest. I bet I went to a dozen stove shops before I took the leap into my purchase. In each visit, I would get advise on why I should buy this or that product and avoid the one the competition was selling. While you will still see some of that in this forum, most will give an objective overview. My experience is limited to knowing about a dozen others who own pellet stove. Am I average? When it comes to cleaning, I think not. I go at it a lot more than others who I know, but then, I have a lot more time on my hands. I also have been following this forum for 3 years. I don't know a thing about control boards, but I'm betting I have a good idea about what to expect from my stove. I've yet to experience a problem that was a stove failure. In my case, it was because I was on that knowledge curve learning what to do and what not to do. I.e. from Krooser, Keep it clean! from Jay, know your stove and try different pellets to see what works best for you. From Smokey, do a safe install and follow the stove's manual. Use OAK. From Kingsman, Dry pellets! and Imacan, keep your kool! Those are a few of the contributors to my learning curve and given me more than a few laughs along the way.

Well, well, well..... for over a year I have only taken casual interest in this forum. Seems that to me it was a lot of "My chrome is brighter than yours", or "I get 220BTu's more out of this pellet than that one", or "my stoves better than your". They have been little boy/girl toys. I follow three news groups that are more interesting and helpful because they don't try and be the Consumer Reports of stoves. WE. and I include myself have been not too helpful or generous with others. I can't say how your stove will work for you and I can't say what product you burn will be the best, but I can say what makes a good stove, once in awhile. I have owned and used many stoves and find they all burn pellets and they all make ash and some, no most, put out some heat. There are some basic characteristics of a good stove, and may makers have used them, but I am not sure the "My whistle is louder than yours" is the way.

I will still follow the threads of interest, and I will still giggle at the funnies, but there is a serious flaw here somewhere.

littlesmokey said:
save$ said:
hossthehermit said:
save$ said:

Well, well, well..... for over a year I have only taken casual interest in this forum. Seems that to me it was a lot of "My chrome is brighter than yours", or "I get 220BTu's more out of this pellet than that one", or "my stoves better than your". They have been little boy/girl toys. I follow three news groups that are more interesting and helpful because they don't try and be the Consumer Reports of stoves. WE. and I include myself have been not too helpful or generous with others. I can't say how your stove will work for you and I can't say what product you burn will be the best, but I can say what makes a good stove, once in awhile. I have owned and used many stoves and find they all burn pellets and they all make ash and some, no most, put out some heat. There are some basic characteristics of a good stove, and may makers have used them, but I am not sure the "My whistle is louder than yours" is the way.

I will still follow the threads of interest, and I will still giggle at the funnies, but there is a serious flaw here somewhere.

Well, well, well? I'm not sure what threads you've been reading. But the ones I have seen lately are we(the group) here banding together trying to solve stove and or burn issues. I've personally been involved will several this week. Yeah, we may toot our horns and tweat our whistles a time or two. Nothing wrong with being proud of your stove or the pellet you picked. Just like the pride you take with the older dragons.

In some of the modern era stoves. There isn't a lot of adjustments like the older stoves. You will see 5 heat adjustments and damper air. These stoves require the owner to choose there pellets a bit wiser than the stoves with more room for error. 2 threads alone this week have some one with clinker issues. From what I see its not a fiber issue but a density issue were the stove doesn't have the adjustment to cope with the higher density pellets. So judging pellets for todays stoves is a bit more important that the dragons of the past. The new digital age has take some of the user input away. You can't tinker if there are no tools to tinker with.

We could use you experiance in some of the issues we see and welcome you to join in. But if you decide to just sit back and watch. Thats OK. We(the group) can handle most of what comes by the forum. I rather enjoy helping the others cope with the day to day issues of trying to stay warm. :)

j-takeman said:
littlesmokey said:
save$ said:
hossthehermit said:
save$ said:

Well, well, well? I'm not sure what threads you've been reading. But the ones I have seen lately are we(the group) here banding together trying to solve stove and or burn issues. I've personally been involved will several this week. Yeah, we may toot our horns and tweat our whistles a time or two. Nothing wrong with being proud of your stove or the pellet you picked. Just like the pride you take with the older dragons.

In some of the modern era stoves. There isn't a lot of adjustments like the older stoves. You will see 5 heat adjustments and damper air. These stoves require the owner to choose there pellets a bit wiser than the stoves with more room for error. 2 threads alone this week have some one with clinker issues. From what I see its not a fiber issue but a density issue were the stove does have the adjustment to cope with the higher density pellets. So judging pellets for todays stoves is a bit more important that the dragons of the past. The new digital age has take some of the user input away. You can't tinker if there are no tools to tinker with.

We could use you experiance in some of the issues we see and welcome you to join in. But if you decide to just sit back and watch. Thats OK. We(the group) can handle most of what comes by the forum. I rather enjoy helping the others cope with the day to day issues of trying to stay warm. :)
I agree with you J-Takeman, I am one of the guys you helped this week and it is greatly appreciated. I have never had anything but lots of kind help from everyone here. When we make something like a new hearth or pellety cleaner or figure out how to get our stoves running properly, I feel we have a right to be proud and maybe brag a little, but what really matters is when we take this knowledge and pass it along. I love this sight and the people here are awesome. Just my 2 cents worth.

I agree with J-Takeman as well. Of all the forums I've been on, this is by far the most healthy. The atmosphere is definitely geared towards education and problem solving, with pissing contests few and far between.

Keep up the good work, guys.

Now back to the OP's question, if you take care of a stove it will last longer, be it a pellet stove or whatever, than most other things you'll likely own.

They are really simple devices, you do need to keep them clean and maintained, and yes that means a bit of elbow grease on occasion.

There are examples of old non pellet stoves that are still functional and being used, there is no reason that a pellet stove can't join the ranks of being antique and still operate.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Now back to the OP's question, if you take care of a stove it will last longer, be it a pellet stove or whatever, than most other things you'll likely own.

They are really simple devices, you do need to keep them clean and maintained, and yes that means a bit of elbow grease on occasion.

There are examples of old non pellet stoves that are still functional and being used, there is no reason that a pellet stove can't join the ranks of being antique and still operate.

Them old smoke belchers don't have something these pellet stove do have. The electronics can be the end to the pellets stoves life. Special when the manufacturer's quit making the replacement parts. I have seen a few at the landfill, They weren't rotted out or burned thru. Just a busted component that cause it to go to the pellet stove heaven! Almost dragged a few home, But the wife stopped me "What the H&!! you gonna do with that". Yes dear! :)

I wonder how many get tossed only because the owner is just tired of them?

j-takeman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Them old smoke belchers don't have something these pellet stove do have. The electronics can be the end to the pellets stoves life. Special when the manufacturer's quit making the replacement parts. I have seen a few at the landfill, They weren't rotted out or burned thru. Just a busted component that cause it to go to the pellet stove heaven! Almost dragged a few home, But the wife stopped me "What the H&!! you gonna do with that". Yes dear! :)

I wonder how many get tossed only because the owner is just tired of them?

Yes that can be a little annoyance, but even there you have a chance to acquire sufficient parts to rebuild that side of things. You are likely to even be able to use parts form other stoves.

Further, treated properly those electronic parts actually have a very long life.

There are items out there for which parts from a manufacturer are no longer being made. That doesn't prevent folks from rolling their own or having them rolled.

Thanks. Looks like fans, motors, ignitors are common issues.
I want to have enough insight to know when it is best to stop sinking money into a stove. I owned many cars and trucks. While I know they can most always be repaired, I also know that there comes a point where is just isn't worth it. I want to be able to rest my head on my pillow and not worry about the stove failing, or worse yet, becomming a hazard. So far I am very impressed with the part this stove has become in our home. We started out burning cord wood. This pellet stove has been a good transition. I'm keeping my eyes and ears open about the progress of the pellet home furnace. I'm hoping for a good way to keep them fueled. It would be good to have one in my hot air system with some sort of automatic feed. I'm betting there will be a lot of improvements comming out. If I can't depend on domestic oil, then I would prefer to independent with some home grown alturnative that goes beyond the cry to be conservative and wearing multiple layers of clothing to stay warm. Can't invest in one now. With all the positive help here, I'll do my best to keep my stove clean and properly maintained. So very important when you are in retirement and income isn't too flexible.

mine is an 04 englander bought it used at a good price
my second year with it previus owner used it 24/7
sinse new

I think that if you clean your stove real well, it should last many years. The construction of the interior firebox to me would seem like the determining factor as its prone to rust and corrode over time. I spray my firebox at the end of heat season with Pam cooking spray and coat it real good so it wont get the rust from humidity over the summer. Augers, and blowers, and control units all can be easily replaced, but if your firebox walls corrode you're in serious trouble. My thinking is that the firebox is the weak point especially in my Quadrafire Castile insert, the walls of the firebox are cheap thin sheet steel stampings which if not coated will rust out over time.

My guess is the average stove user who burns about 4 to 6 tons each winter should expect at least 10 years or more from it if the stove is kept clean and lubricated against humidity and moisture. So far I have 3 years on mine and it still looks like new inside and out.

I purchased my Harmon Invincible for 1000 dollars
and it has paid for itself several times over
I feel it is free at this point
only having to buy pellets
the stove is built like a tank
repairs are simple and cost effective if you can work on them
blowers can be matched online, do not have to buy from dealer
computer board is common to some of the newer stoves
have thought about buying a new board and saving it
I think it runs about 80 dollars
some of the best money I''ve spent

My Advantage III is 15 yrs old and is a work horse, I keep it clean and it keeps me warm. With people like J-Takeman and others to help keep them running my guess is quite a few years more.

I have nothing but HIGH praise to the people on this forum. I found this site by accident when I was looking for reviews on certain pellets that I was interested in using.

I know that with proper cleaning, my stove should last for years to come. I also feel that with the savings from NOT :) :) having to buy oil to heat my home, I'll come out ahead this year with the money saved.

12+ yr's on my Whitfield Advatage IIT, all original motor's and augers, probably outlast me and i'm 48.......ha!
Whitfields were the King~!

This is my 6th year burning with my Enviro Evolution. It takes me about 2.5 hrs to do the enitre stove/exhaust but it's well worth it because the next fire in the stove is efficient and hot. I am happy with the stove, the only maintenance I've done on it is replace gaskets and the control board. The control board was my fault. The auger motor is getting a little more of a groan as it operates but I've priced that out and to me it's like the car comparison, you need to sink some money into these units as time goes on. Well worth it. Thanks for the help/feedback, truly enjoy the website.

I have family in SW NY that still burn their Jamestown "Baby Bear" pellet stove daily, still going strong after 16 years or so (they bought it in 1993-94). They had to replace the blower motor on it about 4 years ago (the replacement blower motor was purchased from some obscure vendor in Germany), and the rope gasket on the door was replaced a few years ago. Other than that, their Jamestown stove has never had any issues. They burn through about 1/2 ton of premium pellets per year, they only use the stove for supplementary/convenience heat as they have a nice Nat. Gas boiler system. They clean their Jamestown pellet stove every few days and empty the ash pan daily, with more thorough cleanings (i.e. PL vent, etc.) at the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.