About to buy a new manual splitter-need advice!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joejkd

Oct 6, 2011
Western RI
I've been working an 8# maul for a while now, but I'm having alot of trouble with anything over 10" wide and 12" tall and larger.

I've got some big oak rounds (25" diam) in the woods that need splitting in addition to my 2.5 cord stack.

I was thinking about getting one of those Fiskars Super Splitter splitting axes. I've seen nothing but good reviews (except for handle length, but I'm 5'5" so that's not terrible) on it, but.....I dunno. I'm just skeptical. Can a 3.5# axe really split better than an 8# maul?

When I bought my house, the previous owner left me his splitting axe (some knock-off red handled "true temper" thing) that works like garbage. To be fair, it's quite dull anyways and I'm pretty sure splitting axes need to be sharp.

Is it worth the money?

joejkd said:
I've been working an 8# maul for a while now, but I'm having alot of trouble with anything over 10" wide and 12" tall and larger.

I've got some big oak rounds (25" diam) in the woods that need splitting in addition to my 2.5 cord stack.

I was thinking about getting one of those Fiskars Super Splitter splitting axes. I've seen nothing but good reviews (except for handle length, but I'm 5'5" so that's not terrible) on it, but.....I dunno. I'm just skeptical. Can a 3.5# axe really split better than an 8# maul?

When I bought my house, the previous owner left me his splitting axe (some knock-off red handled "true temper" thing) that works like garbage. To be fair, it's quite dull anyways and I'm pretty sure splitting axes need to be sharp.

Is it worth the money?
If I'm having problems with my 8lb maul, then it's pointless to pull out the fiskars. I only use my fiskars when the wood is easy and less effort is required. Then I save my energy and slice through it all. If I start having stuff that it can't split, then I pull out the 6lb maul or the 8lb maul.

I think it's a good investment, I like to have multiple tools and pick whatever seems to be best at the time, but don't expect it to split stuff your 8lb maul can't.

Good to know. Most of the videos and reviews I've seen though say they're able to cleave through things they had a lot more trouble with the maul

joejkd said:
Good to know. Most of the videos and reviews I've seen though say they're able to cleave through things they had a lot more trouble with the maul
I guess I will say that if I have something with a lot of knots in it, like the 1-2" branches that pine sometimes has growing in it, then a maul can split it open, but it will still be hanging in that one spot. The fiskars is sharp enough that once that knot is exposed I can hack through it. Fiskars is nice for stringy elm as well...

And again yes. The Fiskars X25 should be just about perfect for your size (I find it perfect at 5-10).

Littlalex

I find that I have no need to pull out my 8# maul now that I use a fiskars.

pen

Get spliting wedge and a sledge hammer works great for me. Or noodle the round then hit it with the maul.

joejkd said:
Can a 3.5# axe really split better than an 8# maul? Is it worth the money?

Yes and yes! I've blown through 24" Elm rounds with my SS, and I wouldn't have believed it possible if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. I've had mine for going on 3 years now--my old maul and sledge haven't been touched since......

NP

Looks like I'll be getting one, then! I can't find any shops around here that carry them, though. I checked with 2 Ace Hardwares and it's a no-go, as well as the local Sears

I think I saw the X25 at my walmart a week or two ago, you might check there if you have that option.

The Fiskars can handle 25" oak rounds, but the usual factors that make it more difficult. If that same 25" diameter round is 20" long instead of, say, 14-16" long, it's may take more effort or swings. And I'll also add that I know of no manual splitting axe/maul that excels on knots or crotches. If I'm having trouble, I'll noodle the round with my chainsaw and then pick up my manual splitter again.

I'm 5'9" and the X25 is a good size for me - works great as well. I got mine at Wally World after I had been looking to find one for quite some time. I was skeptical at first as well and really wanted to see and feel this splitter before I layed out the $$$ for it and might be disappointed. Definitely a good investment IMO.

I'm 6'3" and I use the X25 just fine--I use a 24" tall splitting block with a used tire to hold the rounds and I've never had a problem.

Oh, we bought ours from Amazon.com, found a great price and we have Amazon Prime so we get free 2 day shipping......

NP

Status
Not open for further replies.