Accentra 52i -- stopped working, suddenly started working fine again ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2013
NH
Yes, I'm puzzled.

I've had a Harman Accentra 52i pellet insert in my living room fireplace since October 2013. I have become very proficient at doing the "regular" cleanings -- i.e., where you do everything but pull out the whole unit. Normally I do those "regular" cleanings about every 40-50 bags. (Of course I also do the daily or every-other-day stuff like scraping the burn pot, emptying the ash pan, vacuuming the insides, etc.)

A few weeks ago, just a couple of days after I had done another deep-ish cleaning (everything you can do without pulling the insert out), the insert basically stopped working -- a couple of times I got the 6-blink message, a couple of times the fire was just really tiny and thus pretty useless, so I shut it off. I had two 275-gallon oil tanks full of heating oil, so I just switched to oil (and given that right now oil costs $1.50/gallon, it wasn't too traumatic a decision!). I also checked my records and saw that I had gone through just under 4 tons of pellets without pulling the insert out to do the deep, deep cleaning -- I normally have my dealer do that. So fine, I figured I would call them for that service once my work schedule calmed down, and in the meantime I would just use oil.

Well, I had become very spoiled with pellets -- I actually like heating with them BETTER than heating with oil, because of the way my particular house is laid out and the kind of temperatures I typically like. So even though I have plenty of oil, today I was in the living room and I figured I would try to start the insert -- and it started up right away, and got a large fire going -- and kept going, and going, and going. Honestly, I kept expecting the fire to dwindle away into nothing, as it has done every other time I've tried it in the past few weeks -- but it never did. It stayed big and beautiful (and my cats were deliriously happy to be able to snooze in front of the fire again!).

OK, yeah, I'm glad it's working again ... but I am COMPLETELY confused as to HOW it is working again, and what could have happened in the past few weeks for it to suddenly work great again. I REALLY like understanding how these things work, but right now I am at a loss.

The short version: the insert crapped out on me just a couple of days after a "regular" deep-ish cleaning, so I figured I would have to call my dealer for the deep deep cleaning -- but as of today it started up again as normal, as if it had been fine all along. And I have no idea why or how.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Yes, I'm puzzled.

I've had a Harman Accentra 52i pellet insert in my living room fireplace since October 2013. I have become very proficient at doing the "regular" cleanings -- i.e., where you do everything but pull out the whole unit. Normally I do those "regular" cleanings about every 40-50 bags. (Of course I also do the daily or every-other-day stuff like scraping the burn pot, emptying the ash pan, vacuuming the insides, etc.)

A few weeks ago, just a couple of days after I had done another deep-ish cleaning (everything you can do without pulling the insert out), the insert basically stopped working -- a couple of times I got the 6-blink message, a couple of times the fire was just really tiny and thus pretty useless, so I shut it off. I had two 275-gallon oil tanks full of heating oil, so I just switched to oil (and given that right now oil costs $1.50/gallon, it wasn't too traumatic a decision!). I also checked my records and saw that I had gone through just under 4 tons of pellets without pulling the insert out to do the deep, deep cleaning -- I normally have my dealer do that. So fine, I figured I would call them for that service once my work schedule calmed down, and in the meantime I would just use oil.

Well, I had become very spoiled with pellets -- I actually like heating with them BETTER than heating with oil, because of the way my particular house is laid out and the kind of temperatures I typically like. So even though I have plenty of oil, today I was in the living room and I figured I would try to start the insert -- and it started up right away, and got a large fire going -- and kept going, and going, and going. Honestly, I kept expecting the fire to dwindle away into nothing, as it has done every other time I've tried it in the past few weeks -- but it never did. It stayed big and beautiful (and my cats were deliriously happy to be able to snooze in front of the fire again!).

OK, yeah, I'm glad it's working again ... but I am COMPLETELY confused as to HOW it is working again, and what could have happened in the past few weeks for it to suddenly work great again. I REALLY like understanding how these things work, but right now I am at a loss.

The short version: the insert crapped out on me just a couple of days after a "regular" deep-ish cleaning, so I figured I would have to call my dealer for the deep deep cleaning -- but as of today it started up again as normal, as if it had been fine all along. And I have no idea why or how.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

This was an interesting read. I have the same stove and follow almost the same routine. Thanks for sharing.

A 6 blink status may be caused by several things:
1. Blocked or partially blocked flue.
2. Blocked or partially blocked inlet air.
a. backdraft damper on the inlet pipe may be stuck
closed.
b. if outside air is installed the inlet cover may be
blocked.
3. The air chamber under the burnpot may be filled
with fines and small bits of ash.
4. The holes in the burnpot may be getting filled with
ash or carbon buildup.
5. Combustion blower fan blades may need cleaned.
6. No fuel in hopper

From all these things, what would make most sense to me is a partial block of your vent or OAK. What is your vent setup? Is it possible the wind was blowing and killing your exhust? Any other possible blocks?

Did you unplug your stove at any point? Maybe a board issue was cleared?

I would agree that it does not make a lot of sense for the stove to show these symptoms and then come back. Something was causing a block, maybe just too much ash in the vent? After 4 tons you can use a good vent cleaning. I normally do mine every 2-3 tons.

Reactions: karen_in_nh_2014
Thanks for the quick reply!! I definitely don't think the problem is 3, 4, or 5, since I take care of those things with the every-ton deep-ish cleaning. Definitely not 6 either. I don't THINK it's 1, since I have been able to clean out the flue (at least partially) going up through the chamber on the right (forget what it's called) and it has never been too "dirty" or ashy.

BUT #2 actually makes some sense to me. Yes, we had quite a few very windy days in January (the insert started having problems on Monday 1/11, not quite 3 weeks ago) -- it never occurred to me that the inlet air could be blocked, but if it was, that would explain the problem AND explain why it has "fixed itself," if the inlet air is no longer blocked. I will have to take a look outside tomorrow once it gets light and see if I can figure out what was blocked.

Thanks so much -- I hope this is indeed what it was, and that it got unblocked without me having to do anything. Will report back if anything changes!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.