Accentra Feed Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rugger000

Nov 12, 2010
PA
I am new here and have searched many of the topics, but can't find anything similar to what I am going through. I went to fire up the stove this year (Harmon Accentra - Freestanding) and it fed pellets in test mode and then started up just fine (using the auto-ignitor). Once the fire got going, however, it would not feed pellets (even though the Feed light was on). The fire burned out, once the stove was cool, I unplugged, re-plugged and got a 3-blink error (ESP probe). I did this several times and kept getting the error. Service tech came out and said that my stove is too old (not sure which year as it was in the house when I bought it 2003-2005?) for him to use the diagnostic tool. He tried replacing the ESP probe but he kept getting the error. He then installed a new pressure switch. The stove started up and fed pellets, but it seemed to feed and then it would let the fire die back and then feed again. In the past my fire usually stays the same size. It was like it wouldn't let the fire get too big. I recently swept the vent and he even commented that he saw no blockage in the exhaust port where the ESP probe is located. He told me to sweep the vent again and make sure there are no blockages and to call if the issue persists. Has anyone had similar issues?

Welcome Aboard.... I am sure someone in here can Help if not redirect to get you going again.. Good Luck!!

air leaks? bad gasket on the hopper lid? ESP probe wire connection loose? Does your model have a muffler in the bin (that might be plugged or restricted)?

this is a tough one. too old for ddm, too old to have the muffler thingy. 3 blinks usually resets after unplugging. if it persists it usually means theres some type of "communication" problem between the ESP and the board. replaced ESP and still get 3 blinks should point to the board, but then it starts to work? strange. Just for the sake of eliminating possibilities, did your technician check you outlets for voltage? low volts can make strange things happen. I've also seen some old units where the decal for the control board is covering the DDM port, so there is a chance that the DDM can be attached. hmmm, a stumper this one is (yeah, thats Yoda speak).

Door gasket?

I cleaned the vent pipe again this weekend, started up the stove and it wasdoing the same thing, big fire...dies back to small... then big...then small...etc. I am running in stove temp mode so it should stay constant (always has in the past). It ran from Sat evening to Sun evening. I fell asleep as the Patriots were dismantling the Steelers. I woke up to a weird sound coming from the stove, now I notice the distribution blower is not running... but the stove keeps burning. This just keeps getting better and better. I am going to call my service guy today.

ESP or circuit board...if it hadnt had a new ESP. Id say that was it....

I talked to the technician I use and he wants to try replace the board. It still has the old ESP probe because when he hooked up the new one last week, it still gave the same 3-blink error so he didn't think that was it. He told me that my stove does not have a DDM port. It is even older tI ahan the one with the "tape" over the opening. Hoping it is the board.

rugger000 said:
I talked to the technician I use and he wants to try replace the board. It still has the old ESP probe because when he hooked up the new one last week, it still gave the same 3-blink error so he didn't think that was it. He told me that my stove does not have a DDM port. It is even older tI ahan the one with the "tape" over the opening. Hoping it is the board.

rugger- if he replaces the old board with a new one, be sure to ask him for a new cover plate as well, so in the future the DDM can be used (all new boards HAVE the DDM port, but if he uses the old faceplate, you wont be able to access the post without possing the circuitboards free of the standoffs, greatly increasing the chance of accidentally grounding (and frying) the board!)

He told me he would see if he has a cover, or can just drill a hole in my current cover. I just hope the board is the problem... thanks for all the responses. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.