acceptable block off plate material for zero clearance prefab fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jblood

Oct 18, 2010
Southern Michigan
Should this be stainless steel or will galvanized steel be adequate. It will be a ring that is 6" inner diameter (slightly larger than the flex liner) and about 9" outer diameter (slightly larger than the damper opening). Seems to me it could get quite hot as it will be making direct contact with the ss liner only several inches away from where it exits the appliance. What type of sheetmetal are prefab fireboxes typically made of?

Attachments

• liner thru damper.jpg
    liner thru damper.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 976
The zinc coating on galvanized sheet metal begins to boil off at 720 degrees F and zinc fumes are not healthful. On the other hand, we are talking about a small amount, screwed to a large heatsink. My prefab firebox is made of stainless steel.

I believe I used galvanized for the blockoff plate for my Fireview-through-a-prefab setup. No issues to report, although mine has more exposed pipe before the plate and the Fireview doesn't get the pipe all that hot, almost certainly never up to 720 at that point. Also, there isn't a lot of direct metal-metal contact, it's mostly furnace cement between.

cmonSTART said:
With such a small gap, personally I would just stuff some rock wool in there and be done with it.
X2, it looks like you already got it covered, from the picture.

I do have rockwool stuffed in the gap. I would like to put a block off "ring" just to keep the rockwool in place and seal the gap. I cannot find stainless sheet anywhere locally though.

I was thinking of using some plain carbon steel and paint also, but galvanized or painted steel just seem like a compromise.

The whole pre-fab is made of very thin sheet metal, I don't think a sheet metal ring would be any kind of a compromise.

jblood said:
I do have rockwool stuffed in the gap. I would like to put a block off "ring" just to keep the rockwool in place and seal the gap. I cannot find stainless sheet anywhere locally though.

I was thinking of using some plain carbon steel and paint also, but galvanized or painted steel just seem like a compromise.

See if you have any local business that do ductwork. They typically perform a lot of custom sheetmetal work. My local shop hooked me up with some materials and even did a special cut for me that I wasn't sure how to do.

I would love to see any more pics you have of your installation, now as well as when you finish. Are you going to install a plate to simply cover the gap and let the liner pass through, or are you going to somehow mount the block off plate and then connect the liner to it?

I will definitely post more pics as I proceed. I think the blockoff plate will be nothing more than a piece to cover the insulation and keep it in place. The liner isnt going anywhere. It had to navigate two bends within the 8" pre fab chimney and it was a job to get it in. Also it is secured to the appliance about 10" from the damper opening and at the top of the chimney.

Thanks for hvac tip also. I'll look into that. Seems as though they use mostly galvanized also.

I have galvanized right by my liner and it hasn't even discolored. I would not hesitate to use it myself. It does not get very hot as it is screwed to a lot of stainless steel.

jblood - did you terminate the flex liner into a tee inside your firebox? If so, any pics of that?

webby3650 said:
The whole pre-fab is made of very thin sheet metal, I don't think a sheet metal ring would be any kind of a compromise.

I hear ya but if prefab is stainless, liner is stainless, it seems a shame to introduce galvanized. Having said that, maybe I'm overthinking it....

Just found a place that has 26 GA SS 12" x 12" in stock for $8.

Status
Not open for further replies.