Acrid smell from Woodstock Fireview

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wanderer

Mar 14, 2012
Maryland
I've owned a Fireview for four years now and have been troubleshooting the same problem for as many years. There is an acrid smell that seems to come from above the loading door and the backside of the lid. The problem worsens when engaging the combustor and reducing the airflow to less than 1. Woodstock has not been able to solve the problem.

What has been tried:
1. Extended the chimney height
2. Replaced the door gasket and lid gasket
3. Replaced the CAT
4. Adjusted the door tightness
5. Adjusted the airflow across the glass

Any ideas of where to look next would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe it's coming from the bypass lever handle? Is it loose? I know that lever isn't air tight, maybe stuff some insulation or gasket material around the hole where it comes out through the iron.

I had some smell in the same area on my old Fireview but once I changed the door gasket it stopped. Maybe your door has a slight warp and won't seal even with new gasket. Take it off and put a straight edge on it.

Could it be a draft issue once it dialed down low, maybe the chimney still isn't up to par. What is the chimney setup?

Welcome wanderer. Sorry to hear about your stinky stove. Can you describe the present chimney and how the stove is connected? Please provide details on pipe size, elbows, length of runs, insulation, etc.. Also, what was used to seal the flue collar?

Thanks for help everyone.

The chimney is DuraPlus triple wall 6 inch. The oem stove pipe exits the stove horizontally for about 3 ft. into the 90 elbow and up from there on the outside of the house inside a stickframe chase. The chimney extends two feet about the highest point of the roofline.

I have tightened the bypass lever as it did come lose and was not sealing but I still have the same problem.

Seal the flue collar? If you mean the cast iron exit from the stove into the stove pipe, I stuffed a gasket inside the gap.

Is the stove in a basement? Maybe your house is too tight and you need an outside air kit?

A gasket seal sounds ok as long as it is tight enough to do the job with no air leaks. If uncertain use Rutland furnace cement. Can you confirm that the horizontal run is pitched up at least 1/4" per ft. toward the chimney?

How tall is the the exterior chimney?

Status
Not open for further replies.