Add Sight Window to my WoodStove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get your next stove with one.
If there isn't a door offered for your particular model,
there's nothing you can SAFELY do about it.
Anything you do to the existing one will be in violation
of how it was tested.

It will just soot up quickly without an air wash system.

If u do it you should use the pyroceram or glass made to be exposed to those temps.

Wait a bit until a large enough crack develops to see the fire? :ahhh:

Isn't it a cast iron stove? If so, good luck with that. A plate steel stove, I can see where one might actually be able to retrofit a window...but just as was mentioned previously, I doubt you'd see anything much through it after about 15 minutes of burning. Rick

I wasn't sure abut the length of time I'd have before losing visibility - good point.

I'm looking to add a 2" or 3" sight window; McMaster has Quartz glass rated 2102F and Vycor 1652F.

Months ago when I was surfing the internet I saw a stove virtually identical to the Vogelzang, but with a small sight window. Unfortunately I cannot find that same stove now, anyone perhaps know who's woodstove I might have seen?

What is your Vogelzang model? BX26? If that's it..a curved cast iron door - tough project. I'd apply any upgrade money for this one to getting something EPA rated - Englander/Summers Heat 13-NC, for example.

Model BX42, slight curve at the edges of the door, but very close to flat where i intend to put the sight window, replacing the (flat) upper air intake that i don't use anyhow.

fossil said:
Isn't it a cast iron stove? If so, good luck with that. A plate steel stove, I can see where one might actually be able to retrofit a window...but just as was mentioned previously, I doubt you'd see anything much through it after about 15 minutes of burning. Rick

My local stove repair wizard said he could put glass in my solid Vigilant doors. I have no idea how, but he told me it was a waste of time for the reasons mentioned here.

Having a black box that I have to guess what happening inside of makes it a bit more interesting to me anyway (sour grapes... sour grapes).

Status
Not open for further replies.