adding a simple gate to trailer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toonces

Nov 7, 2011
Farmington Valley, CT
just curious if any of you have ever added a gate to an open-back trailer. i picked up a 4x6 tilt trailer with sides but no gate. i was thinking of using some 2x4's to shore up the butt end of things but have it removable so i can dump whatever i have when i need to. anyone done this and have pics they can share? thanks!

toonces said:
just curious if any of you have ever added a gate to an open-back trailer. i picked up a 4x6 tilt trailer with sides but no gate. i was thinking of using some 2x4's to shore up the butt end of things but have it removable so i can dump whatever i have when i need to. anyone done this and have pics they can share? thanks!

I just replaced a removable one with a hinged/ramp one.
2X4 across the top & 3/4 plywood. Mad a grove from 2X2s on each side to slide it into.
A rope held the sides in when gate was in place.
Pic of old one:

Attachments

• trl old gate.jpg
    trl old gate.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 291
i like the hinge idea. might have a dayoff project to think about here. thanks!

No pic (it's nighttime here), but I have a commercially built dump trailer 4' x 8' x 2'. The back of the trailer box is a two-piece door, divided vertically in the center, the two halves of which swing horizontally away from the back of the box. They have an overlap & a good latch for when the back is shut. When I go to dump it, I unlatch the rear doors and swing each one away to the side on it's hinges, 270° right up nearly flat with the sides of the box. There are pegs on the doors and D-rings on the sides of the trailer to hold the doors open during the dumping process. Works like a champ. For a dump trailer, I'd highly recommend some similar configuration. I can get some pics in daytime if you're interested. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.