adding another stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rparker

Feeling the Heat
Jul 17, 2011
Vermont
Guess I have been bitten HARD by the pellet bug. Thinking about adding another stove. The Quad CB1200 works well but considering putting another unit into the other end of the house.
Problem is the room is locked in between covered porches on both sides. How far can a stove be vented horizontally? Would need to go up at least 6' and then horizontally about 8'.
Also was at a dealer today and they had a unit vented down under the floor and out. Is this appropriate?

Venting should never go downwards. Most stoves have a 4' maximum horizontal run limit, all stoves have vent limits they are stove specific. They all caution you to keep horizontal runs short.

Yep... Down is not good...

Cant you go through the ceiling?

What stove/stoves are you looking at?

Could go through the ceiling but that would put me in the bedroom above before I could elbow out to get above the porch roof. Then I would be at the eave of the roof above. Not a good option.
For stoves I am looking for a gentle used smaller stove like a Harman P38 or so.
Wondering if this is really feasible or if I might be creating problems that I don't want.

rparker said:
Guess I have been bitten HARD by the pellet bug. Thinking about adding another stove. The Quad CB1200 works well but considering putting another unit into the other end of the house.
Problem is the room is locked in between covered porches on both sides. How far can a stove be vented horizontally? Would need to go up at least 6' and then horizontally about 8'.
Also was at a dealer today and they had a unit vented down under the floor and out. Is this appropriate?
I vent out to a covered porch too. I go out then 6 - 7 feet up then 8 - 9 feet across the porch ceiling, similar to what you are considering. No problem at all! My backup plan is to go up through the porch roof but haven't seen a need to consider that yet. The vertical run seems adequate to keep the gasses moving. Make sure you angle the horizontal leg up - my dealer recommended 1/4" per foot

I am thinking about a 2d stove for next year. The house is about 1500 sq. ft., stone & brick exterior, over plaster/lathe exterior. While we LOVE our stove, the floors are cold on the first level and we are not as "cozy" as Madame DeFarge would like on the second floor. I am wondering if a 2d stove in the unfinished basement - with a huge hopper and set on low - would warm the floors on the first level and thereby make the entire house warmer.

DonD : After you go thru the wall of the porch, how far does the pipe extend up? I know with the length of pipe I would need 4".

Status
Not open for further replies.