adding ignitor to whitfield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

long

Aug 30, 2006
Could anyone tell me if an ignitor can be added to a whitfield advantage II insert. I've had the stove ten years and when i bought it i may the mistake of not taking this option.i would now like to put this stove on a thermostat.
Thank-you

To my knowlege, the ignitor kit is no longer avalible. You will do best by calling lots of old whitfield dealers and seeing if they happen to have one in back hiding out somwhere.

You know that the thermostat is not a "on off" thermostat. its a modulator, it just turns the machine up and down....

i found one on a couple of sites but it was just an ignitor. i wasnt sure if i could just install it or there were other parts my stove would be missing since it didnt originally come w/ one.
thanks for replying to me.

the old ignitor is a hot rod that is inside a tube that air flows around.. can you post a link to the site that you found them in?

yea, thats just the element, you need the housing for the element too. I dont know where you can find the housing.

thank-you. i'll try the business i bought it from to see if they can order the whole assembly. do you think if i had the whole thing i could control on and off of the stove or just the auger feed rate and blower speed.

that stove never turned off and on with a thermostat, just up and down. Lennox bought whitfield i think in '02. That part you are looking for they made obsolete. You have a fantastic stove, but unless you can find the auto ignitor aftermarket you will have to continue to light by hand. And with the thermostat option, you only light it once anyway....

If your advantage Series Stove has the Tube the ignitor eliment screws into then you can upgrade to an ignitor.
ALL THE ADVATAGE STOVE THAT ARE IGNITOR READY HAD THEM INSTALLED the quest unit was the model that you had to install the tube.
A few things to look for.
Do you have the ultra grate?
http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/13_bar_Ultra-Grate.jpg
if yes then
Do you have a small 1/2 diamitor tube with a hole in the center behind the Ultra grate in the center?
yes
then you can buy the Full ignitor set
it will have the ignitor
Timer
Wire Harnes and fuse.
I dont stock the whole kit but I can get some.

Yes the Thermostat for the advatage stoves are Hi Low only NOT ON AND OFF.
the older Rotor Know grey faced board with out a ultra grate does not work very well.

You would have to have the New digital board. (it controls the combustion blower better)
and a Ultra grate or ultra grate upgrade. Both avalable on my site.

hearthtools said:
If your advantage Series Stove has the Tube the ignitor eliment screws into then you can upgrade to an ignitor.
ALL THE ADVATAGE STOVE THAT ARE IGNITOR READY HAD THEM INSTALLED the quest unit was the model that you had to install the tube.
if yes then
Do you have a small 1/2 diamitor tube with a hole in the center behind the Ultra grate in the center?
yes
it will have the ignitor
Timer
Wire Harnes and fuse.
'

He mentioned that it was 10 years old, i dont think that model advantage had the ultra grate. I should have asked, i forgot about that. Wait a second, the advanage plus's that i sold in powercoat colors, about 6 years ago, did not have the tube in them and they had a ultra grate...

i believe i do have the ultragrate. it has ten tubes at the bottom, not thirteen. in the back of the grate there is 3 holes and 1 hole directly below the 3. when i lift out the grate there is a tube about 1/2" to 3/4" around under and behind the grate.

You should be able to get an igniter kit for that. I'll check & see if I have one. If I remember correctly it costs an arm & possibly a leg. It doesn't seem like you'd be gaining a whole lot of convenience by adding it. Like MSG said when you hook the thermostat up your not going to be lighting it that often.

long said:
i believe i do have the ultragrate. it has ten tubes at the bottom, not thirteen. in the back of the grate there is 3 holes and 1 hole directly below the 3. when i lift out the grate there is a tube about 1/2" to 3/4" around under and behind the grate.

Is it about 6 inches long? If so, you have the half you cant get! :) thanks Rod!

MountainStoveGuy said:
hearthtools said:
if yes then
yes
it will have the ignitor
Timer
Wire Harnes and fuse.
'

He mentioned that it was 10 years old, i dont think that model advantage had the ultra grate. I should have asked, i forgot about that. Wait a second, the advanage plus's that i sold in powercoat colors, about 6 years ago, did not have the tube in them and they had a ultra grate...

The 100 or so Advantage plus I sold and installed had the tube But not the ignitor installed.
It was the quest that you had to install the tube. Take out the Burn pot and install it from the front.

long said:
I found one kits in my stock part # 12040002
Has the Ignitor
Wire harnes Adaptor
Timer Block

you could order it from my website.
I dont have it listed but you can just order the ignitor and Put in the order comments
Please send me #1204002 Kit as per ROD $185.00

Lennox shows the list price as $213.00
You can have it for $185.00 for we stole the Tube out for a repair job.

long said:
my burn pot is 5 and 5/16" wide.
There are two ultra grates
one is a 10 bar and the other is a 13 bar
but that does not matter.
as long as your stove has the HOLE or tube then you can have an ignitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.