Adding insulation to OWB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOutdoors

May 12, 2008
Lempster, NH
Has anyone added any type of insulation to their existing OWB's? If so, what kind of insulation did you add...spray foam, rigid foam with Reflective foil, fiberglass, etc.

MyOutdoors said:
Has anyone added any type of insulation to their existing OWB's? If so, what kind of insulation did you add...spray foam, rigid foam with Reflective foil, fiberglass, etc.
CLOSED CELL spray foam is the best

MyOutdoors said:

More insulation would never hurt anything but the problem would be figuring out how to apply it. Most OWB's have steel siding and roofing so to remove all of this and then figure out how to add insulation and then re-apply all the exteriors would probably not be easy. The above poster is right though, closed cell spray foam.

Well, I have the exterior sides all off. I'm ready to insulate. The batten insulation was holding moister so I'm glad I'm going with a foam. I hate to order the tiger foam because I really don't need there minimum sized kit. Does anyone know if the stuff in the "cans" @ the local stores is actual closed cell? I figure 10 cans will get the job done for around $75-100 vs the $350. It's rated too 240*.

dude, spend the few extra bucks. You will be glad you did.And regret not paying someone to do it right. the "GREAT STUFF" is good for filling gaps and cracks but you should hire a spray foam guy to do this type of job.

In case you haven't figured it out, Pook / Ghettontheball / whatever his name is lately "speaks in tongues" - unfortunately English is not one of them... %-P

There are several types of foam boards, each with a different temp rating, along with other properties - ISOFOAM is one of the higher rated boards, and is good up to around 250*F as I recall - it is usually the stuff with the silver foil coating on it.

However I would be more inclined to go with the earlier poster's suggestion and get the thing shot by a pro with a foam gun and the right sort of foam - I think the results would be far better, and the hassles would be less.

Gooserider

Looking into the closed cell spray spray foam, I see it all has a 250* rating. I believe some spots of the boiler get hotter that that? I may just have to go back to unfaced fiberglass insulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.