Adding Slab to existing concrete basement floor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I Stand Alone

Dec 7, 2009
Western New York
I am looking into storage options and thought for efficiency of space that a slab on top of my existing concrete floor may be an option. Ceiling height is not a problem and the basement is completely unfinished, ran out of money once the house was completely remodeled!

Any suggestions on design. The floor is 28' x 36'

Thanks

I Stand Alone

I am confused ? What does adding a slab have to do with storage ?

The concept might be good but it wont work as you think it will . First I think my concrete guys said the max injection temperature I believe is 130 degrees , but the max I think I read that you should do is a 40 degree difference in slab actual temp verses water temp . My heating guy says for me to max out my mixer at 110 to be on the safe side . Using mass for storage really doesn't work as you have no control over it . Once it is hot you have no control over the heat dissipating from it . As far as radiant in slab it works because of the large surface area and continual heat out put . Your basement still will only require so many BTU's to heat all the slab does is buffer out the highs and the lows . Its not really designed for mass storage.
If you have a large open basement why don't you put in a insulated storage tank so as to store excess heat for use later .

I agree with webie.

Here are some quick numbers to think about:

specific heat of concrete= .2 btus/lb/degree F

28'x36'x4" slab=12 yds of concrete=48,000 lbs.
48000x.2=9600 btus/degree F
Assuming you'd be comfortable with a 10 degree F temp swing in the slab, that's 96,000 btus stored.

specific heat of water=1 btu/lb/degree F

250 gal. of water=2085 lbs or 2085 btus/degree F
Assuming a 50 degree F delta T in the tank (180*-130*)=104,250 btus stored.

NOTE: all numbers subject to error.

A storage tank should come in far below the cost of a slab. If you could squeeze in 500 or more gallons of storage you could gain some convenience that the slab just cant really give you.

Good luck,
Noah

Agree with the above advise. Think of a slab like a train, very slow to gain speed (heat) very slow to cool down. Storage will give you far more comfort & satisfaction at far less cost. It will also solve your idling issues provided you install enough.

You said headroom isn't an issue, but you'll need at least 2 inches of foam under the slab for a total of 6 inches. At the very least you'll have to re-frame the stairs, and if there are any windows they are going to be pretty low.

Status
Not open for further replies.