Ads interfere with forum operation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
For the last few months, the site has had an ad at the top of the page that interferes with basic use of the site on mobile devices:

50F3CA0D-7419-4D0F-BB7D-CF70C2DDA32C.png

This particular one is written in Chinese(?), making it even more annoying than usual, but the real problem is that it completely covers the forum’s menu controls needed to access watched threads and other functions. The Up carrot minimizes it, but there are two problems with that:

1. It is so small that it takes a half dozen tries to successfully hit it.

2. It still half-covers the forum menu, even after successfully minimizing the ad, meaning you often accidentally pop it back up and restart the entire process, when trying to access your watched threads or surf the forum menu.

I understand the need for ads, but they should not negatively impact one’s ability to use the forum’s basic navigational controls.

Googles latest update has not been good to the forum layout. Going to have to go back and re-do those.

Reactions: Ashful
For the last few months, the site has had an ad at the top of the page that interferes with basic use of the site on mobile devices:

View attachment 307191

This particular one is written in Chinese(?), making it even more annoying than usual, but the real problem is that it completely covers the forum’s menu controls needed to access watched threads and other functions. The Up carrot minimizes it, but there are two problems with that:

1. It is so small that it takes a half dozen tries to successfully hit it.

2. It still half-covers the forum menu, even after successfully minimizing the ad, meaning you often accidentally pop it back up and restart the entire process, when trying to access your watched threads or surf the forum menu.

I understand the need for ads, but they should not negatively impact one’s ability to use the forum’s basic navigational controls.
Thanks for pointing this out, I thought maybe it was just me.

Reactions: Ashful