Advancements in cold climate heat pump efficiency.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Yes they can put out 140 degree F but far less of it at lower a COP.

Komrade

Jan 3, 2014
Eastern Panhandle (WV)
Does anybody know if there is a list of high efficiency water heating appliances that are sold in US?

I've looked at Sanden, but it's low BTU (15k) is insufficient for heating.
I've briefly looked at Chiltrix, does not seem to have very good reputation.

Looks like there is LG Monobloc, but it don't appear to be avail in US based on what I can find. I am sure there are others from big name manufacturers.

Last edited:

Highbeam

Minister of Fire
Dec 28, 2006
Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA

Brian26

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2013
Branford, CT
I think he means space heating, not domestic water heaters.

I wish the market would catch up on space heating heat pump water heaters. We know the tech is there but just not readily available in North America.
I agree. Almost all the air to water heat pumps are self contained outdoor units that require just running the water lines to the outdoor units. No refrigerant lines, vacuum or pressure testing is required. It seems like they would be easy to install since the refrigerant system is factory sealed.

Efficiency Vermont is giving out a $1k per ton rebate for these units now. The issue appears most units can only produce 110 degree water at 5 degrees according to the VT list. The COP's seem to be around 2 at 5 degrees.

I think once they can get units to put out close to the 180 degree water temps that most fossil fuels hydronic units can easily obtain these will become more popular.

Screenshot_20210912-060157_Drive.jpg

Reactions: Highbeam

sloeffle

Minister of Fire
Mar 1, 2012
Central Ohio
I think he means space heating, not domestic water heaters.

I wish the market would catch up on space heating heat pump water heaters. We know the tech is there but just not readily available in North America.
Ahhhhh yeah, you are right based off of the list he had.