Advice fireplace to insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vzx34

Sep 28, 2011
NEPA
I purchased a new home 4yrs ago, came with what it seems they call the "builders special" Superior BRF-3875. i've been burning wood in it for the fun and it warms my LVRM, but i wanted to put in a more efficient wood insert. Have not officially had anyone to the house but the msg i got from a lisc chimney guy was that it pretty much wasn't gonna happen. The idea being an insert will put more BTU into the chimney/structure than can be handled.

The BTU rating on the superior says DO NOT EXCEED 26K. is that rating for the pre-fab that is being replaced by insert at 65K BTU? or is that rating to warn you of not burning out the structure around?

Find the manual for your specific make and model of fireplace and try to find out if it is approved for an insert. It may not be possible with that model.

You may also be able to get in touch with Superior and ask directly.

As it turns out Superior is no longer in buisness. The Chimney/Install guy basically said his company won't touch it, the entire fireplace system would need to be replaced with something that could handle the heat of an insert over what this pre-fab can handle.
5K plus work to be done. Oh well

I thought Superior fireplaces are now sold through Lennox.

Status
Not open for further replies.