Advice for burning less than perfectly seasoned wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ericj

Oct 9, 2010
Iowa
Hi everyone, I have my new stove installed and bought a cord of oak seasoned for one year. It's still quite wet. Please give me your advice for how to burn this stuff.

I'm buying several extra cords to begin drying for the next few years supply.

Thanks!

Ericj:

My stove would walk off the job if I fed it unseasoned oak. But if you HAD to here is what I would do:

1. Splits should be small (less than 3 inches or so)
2. Get the coal bed really hot before you load/reload using lots of kindling/bark/softwoods.
3. Keep the draft setting on the high side.
4. Clean the flue after that first cord of wood.
5. Prepare for frustration.

Good job getting ahead on the following year!

Maybe look around for someone selling a cord of ash and set that oak aside.

Otherwise, you could buy some Kiln Dry wood to mix in with it, or get some pallet wood cut up and burn that in with the green wood.

Now's the time to get next years wood set up.

Good luck.

Start-ups are going to be a nightmare if you only have unseasoned oak. I would recommend searching for some sort of kiln dried softwood - pallets, old framing 2x4's, slats, whatever you can find. Build your fires nice and hot with kindling and small pieces of oak. Wait to add your larger pieces of oak until a hot firebox has been established and a good bed of coals is available.

You'll have to keep the air control on the high side to maintain a cleaner fire. It will not be very efficient this year so you'll use lots of wood. Looking ahead, you are already off to a better start next year. Best wishes!

ericj said:
Hi everyone, I have my new stove installed and bought a cord of oak seasoned for one year. It's still quite wet. Please give me your advice for how to burn this stuff.

Thanks!
What part of Iowa are you in?

oldspark said:
ericj said:

Thanks!

Hi oldspark, I'm in Iowa City. Central eastern part of the state.

ericj said:
oldspark said:
ericj said:

Thanks!

Hi oldspark, I'm in Iowa City. Central eastern part of the state.
Too far for me to give you some dry wood. :lol:

I'd find a company that has pallets to get rid of. Cut them up with a sawzall. You'll be picking nails, but that's less frustrating than wet wood. I'd mix in the wet stuff that's been split small.

Matt

Do you know anyone else who burns? See if you can trade your unseasoned for thier seasoned. Maybe go your 1 cord for thier 3/4 cord ?

Where is the sav on this one?

Best option: Set this wood aside for next year and get some better seasoned wood.

Second best option: Get some pallets to help bring up the temp in the stove . . . and be sure to frequently check your chimney.

I'm in your same boat - less than ideal seasoned wood. I'm doing the pallet thing a lot, loading a bunch of pallet wood in there with 1 or 2 splits. And it will take a lot of monitoring, because sometimes you'll come across dry splits and you need to cut back the primary much quicker.

The only other thing I'm trying is that I've got a box fan on the porch, blowing onto my ~2week supply. It seems to help a little, the wood is burning easier than it was at first. Of course I was brand new at first, but still...

splitnstack said:
Where is the sav on this one?

Sure thing. Just come and get it. ;-)

Eric, you have some tough sledding to get through this year and maybe next year too. I'd highly advise you find some better wood and leave that oak for a couple of years. Or as suggested, you can come and get some. I'll help you out a bit. Just make sure you have enough to pay for motels and such as it is a very long drive.

Backwoods Savage said:
Eric, you have some tough sledding to get through this year and maybe next year too. I'd highly advise you find some better wood and leave that oak for a couple of years. Or as suggested, you can come and get some. I'll help you out a bit. Just make sure you have enough to pay for motels and such as it is a very long drive.

Thanks for the offer, I appreciate. Though...it might be cheaper if I stay put and burn bundles from the gas station. The thought is great though.

Status
Not open for further replies.