Advice for Hearth Pad Construction Needed - Avalon Pendelton

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joetal17

Jan 28, 2009
CT
Thanks to this site I was able to finish my stove and chimney installation a couple of years ago. Now I'm looking for some advice for a new hearth pad. I currently have an Avalon Pendleton sitting on a floor model 1 1/2 inch thick tiled hearth pad I got from my local dealer. Here are the pictures:

http://joegt.blogspot.com/2010/12/wood-stove.html

At the end you can see my stove is currently in a corner parallel to the walls. I'm looking to bring it out a few inches and rotate it to the left into the room. Doing so will require me to build a bigger hearth pad out in front of the radiator to the left.

My Pendelton owner's manual says for floor protection I need something non-combustible and .018" thick. (That's it?) Can I just tile over plywood? I want to keep the same 1 1/2" thickness and the same look of tile with the trim molding around the edges.

Thanks.

Sounds like the stove just needs ember protection but there's no harm in exceeding the hearth requirements.

Are any type of ceramic floor tile considered non-combustible?

Yes, pretty much as long as the tiles are set in a non-combustible bedding like thinset and not attached with adhesive.

Status
Not open for further replies.