Advice needed for basement flue connection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fconway3

Nov 26, 2005
I'm about to install a VC Intrepid into my basement workshop. My issue is the actual connection. The stove outlet is 6" and will go up about 2', to a 6" elbow, to a length of 6", to a 6 to 8" adapter where I would then like to connect to the flue. Problem is the the piece of pipe (looks mortared in place) will not accept the crimped portion of the adapter (it is crimped itself). See attached pics (don't worry, I plan on cutting back the sheetrock). There are actually two separate pieces in the hole. The first is about 6" long and mortared to the chimney liner and is a constant diameter. The second (black) piece is also about 6" long and is male/male. The problem is the male end doesn't protrude at all to accept the female end of an 6-8" adapter. Not sure the best course of action. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Frank

View attachment 75917 2012-10-02_06-48-10_633.jpg

Additional pic....I cut back the sheetrock and found the whole thing was built out to beflush with the stids adjacent to the connection. Hopefully this new pic helps. A bonus was that I noticed this flue was never used. Anyway, still looking for advice. 20121003_210847.jpg

That definitely is not a kosher thimble.The clearances are way too low. Good thing that you were curious and uncovered this problem. It will need to be redone properly and safely. While at it I would examine the entire chimney system. Someone did not know what they were doing here.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/passing_a_chimney

Sorry for the bad news, but welcome Frank. We'll help you get this straight.

Thanks begreen. After I posted the 2nd pic I stepped back and realized how close to the studs the pipe really was. I'd rather have bad news now than really bad news later. I took a mirror and looked up/down inside and it looked like the inner piece (I assume this is the thimble) is well cemented into the liner. To get this right would I:

a: tear out everything within the appropriate clearance and put something like a brick facade in the resulting square....its a basement, I could even leave it unfinished for a while.

b. is there some way to adapt a double lined pipe through that area and seal to flue?

c. stop being cheap and call a pro.

Thanks,

Frank

What is on the other side of the wall? Is that a block or masonry chimney with a liner?

Status
Not open for further replies.